insurance rate for '95 4runner?

any advice on which company?

state farm $460/ 6 mo, with their suggested coverage incl collision.

would geico or other be better? i'm calling around...

thanks, james

Reply to
James Y. Yang

Duhh - depends where you are located, age and driving record. GEICO has nasty habit of dropping folks which makes it hard for them to get coverage elsewhere. Consumer Reports did a good study on service/rates. GEICO doesn't even provide coverage in many states.

Reply to
Wolfgang

GEICO's business plan is to insure GOOD drivers...obviously, that cuts down on their payouts...I've been with them for years, no problems. But, I've caused them no problems, either. New windshield due to heat causing big crack, and that's about it!

Reply to
crosem

We are using Nationwide. We are long term customers (6+ years,) good drivers, both over 25 years old, in a rural area and average 8K-10K miles a year. For full coverage above the minimum limits of liability on our 96

4Runner AND our 99 Mystique, we pay $499 for a six month policy (recently raised from $460.) We've only used the insurance to repair chipped windshields three times, but the process was painless so I'll assume their claims department isn't too bad. ;) This is pretty good in a state where Liability insurance was only recently mandatory (a few years ago, I think... California.) I remember when it became mandatory in Texas, companies started jacking up the rates like mad. You could get full coverage for almost the same cost as liability!

When I called around for rate comparisons recently just for kicks, I was not impressed with any of them. I'd called 21st century, Progressive, and GEICO (who incidentally boasts discounts for military, yet our policy would have been almost double the cost?!? sheesh!) None of those places could offer me a policy for anywhere near what I am paying now. They didn't even live up to their claims of 'we'll give you $10/prepaid phone card' if 'our rates aren't lower/just for comparing rates' and none of the three were able to show me rates for other companies as they advertised. Go figure.

I hear State Farm has a bad habit of dropping customers after a claim is made (any claim) which is how they can boast such good standings. Of course, that's just what I've heard. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

I have had State Farm for years --- the give a 20% no claims discount (plus a multicar/multi policy discount). It applies to claims other than window or theft/vandal claims. They won't drop you for a single accident claim although I suspect a claim and couple of moving violation tickets will get ya dumped. USAA is by far the best for military/retired military.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I've had really good luck with State Farm. My '88 Toyota pickup has been insured with them since I bought it new. Now I just carry the minimum which is $575 per year.

In 1978 I wrecked my VW van (about two years old, totaled) and two of my boys and I ended up in the hospital. The total hospital was over $25,000. My insurance rates didn't go up, which I thought was automatic.

By the way, I've been with State Farm since I graduated from high School in... Uh... Um... 1963.

There, now you know... :>))

Tom...

Reply to
TOM

I figured it was just a rumor perpetuated by some narrow-minded and disgruntled former policyholder. :) Glad to hear it isn't true. Dee

Reply to
Pookerz

They might surprise you. If you have a good agent, he/she can act as a solicitor or negotiator between you and the company. Agents know how simple it is to "jump ship" and take your insurance needs to someone else. It behooves them to maintain the status quo as much as possible. Their commission depends on it!

I always wonder about discount auto insurance. I wonder if the agents aren't maybe brokers instead, selling your policy to the lowest bidder. Of course, if you have a claim, good luck. Shuttle Astronaut William M. Shepherd once commented: "It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."

A friend of mine was a life insurance agent (I never bought from him, in fact, he said he wouldn't sell to a friend. He liked the company but he just didn't sell to his friends), and he always said that the best insurance policy you could ever have (life, fire, home, auto, whatever) is the one you never have to use.

Kind of like having a warranty on your truck. It doesn't do you a bit of good unless something breaks, but it's the peace of mind it provides.

TOM

Reply to
TOM

I live in Nevada and pay Farmers Insurance $474.20 every six months for a

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited that I bought new in April 2002. That includes full collision and comprehensive with rescue service, rental car, hotel etc. I had an accident that was my fault in March 2002 and they paid out $22,000.00 with little left to salvage on my then 2000 Chevy Z71. We were out of the state and they paid for a rental car to get home and $500.00 towards hotel and food for the four days we were away. My premiums didn't go up a penny and in fact are lower this year than last year. We have two vehicles and our house insured with them. I'm 53 and have had no moving violations in the state within the past three years. I can't say the same for British Columbia and Idaho but they don't seem to matter.

I had to shop around when I got my first SUV in 1997. State Farm, Allstate and another Farmers agent quoted me from $1,800.00 to $2,200.00 a year for a

5 year old Montero with 85,000 miles. I was ready to scrap the SUV idea but a freind put me onto his agent who quoted me $900.00 a year. I questioned his price and he laughed when he said that he'd love to take more of my money but that was the price listed in his book. His only response to why the others were higher was that perhaps they didn't fully understand the coding. He was being polite.

Bob Walker

Reply to
Walker