OT - Mexican border fence: made in China?

Scream, roll one's eyes, or just laugh?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Lead pipes?

Reply to
EdV

All this week the BBC has been broadcasting from China. While their broadcasts and stories are inocuous when taken at face value, a compilation of the stories yields some frightening facts.

There is a great disparity in earnings, from thousands per week to the Government stipend pay of $450 a month, paid to the lowest paid factory workers, etc.

China is ramping up their space program, building a rocket with twice the power of the current model. China is launching (or has launched?) a sattelite that will orbit the moon, *MAPPING* it while orbiting, and then crash into the moon and send back data until it 'dies'.

The end seems to be to put a Chinese astronaut on the moon by 2020-2050.

Even more alarming, China is drastically ramping up its Military and has gone on a weapons spending spree, building or ordering long-range bombers, missiles, tanks, weapons, electronics, etc. MAJOR spending on military.

Now, consider this: what kind of computer do you have? A Dell? A Gateway? an HP?

From what I have seen since starting this job, there are two different types on the market. The more expensive models are made in China with a Main circuit board made in Taiwan (that mus really gall the Chinese!), or the more 'affordable' model with all Chinese components.

Hmmm...interesting...ramping up the military and making all the computers that are sold to your biggest trading partner...and rival for World Power.

I think my next computer will be sporting a "Made In Japan" label, at least...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Considering their ancient history (inventions/ingenuity, etc.)... perhaps they're just finally making a comeback??

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I suspect it's more than just a comeback.

From 'reading between the lines', it occurs to me that China may be poising to take over the world...

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, Cathy F. sprach forth the following:

The proper solution to the Mexican border is made in America:

Smith. Wesson. Colt. Winchester.

Reply to
Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute

the world?, the way I read it, they just want to circle around the moon, ...ehehe ..snerk

Reply to
EdV

China has a $1.4 TRILLION budget surplus.

That's Trillion with a T.

Reply to
Hachiroku

With that they can take over the world and go to Mars. But, with 1.4 trillion budget surplus, they should have improved the quality of life of Chinese people first.

Reply to
EdV

I'm not sure if the old fence is made in America or not but it sure is ugly! jor

jor

Oh don't complain the Chinese so much, American car are the worst kind in the world.

Reply to
MickeyMouse

You would think. I guess they figure building up the military qualifies as increasing the quality of life...

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, but they aspire to be a first-rate power, such as the US is.

Get used to the idea of it happening. Baring some calamitous internal upheaval, it is going to happen.

Reply to
dizzy

The Chinese have some impressive techniques to attract foreign investors to put up manufacturing plants in China. The local goverment would build the facilities including dormitories of the workers. All the company has to do is set up the equipment and assembly lines. Maybe better dormitory life to defeat boring factory life of workers. My previous company plant in China looked great, you wouldn't imagine you were still in China. They had 2 factories in China one was brand new while the other need serious improvement. Outside the complex it was typical oldstyle Chinese livelihood. I remember seeing people chewing something like sugarcane sticks and whatever was left from it was just spitted on the floor. I know there are some neighborhoods in the US we aren't so proud of. But US doesn't have that trillion surplus =)

Reply to
EdV

I think it's more than that. China is still controlled by hard-line Communists, the Cold War style.

Too bad nobody else here listened to the BBC series all week, They've been broadcasting from China since Sunday morning. A great deal of insight.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, if it is the truth then at least it can be said it was done legally through free traid. With that said, I sure would like us to stop buying so much from them. We have prisoners here in America who could be making those fences for a fraction of the cost as well as other needed items of the state.

The fence itself is pretty pointless. If we want to truly end illegal immigration then we need to follow the laws and deny healthcare and jobs to illegals and return them to their country. They will stop coming by the butt load and applying legally as soon as they realize that they cannot benefit from breaking the law.

If the labor is desperately needed then they will be sped up.

I am reminded of the time that the feds did a sting on that plant in Colorado and arrested several dozen illegals. The next day the company had a job fair, and several hundered legal Americans showed up and applied!

Reply to
Go Mavs