OT- U Can Fuel Everyone

"If every acre of corn were used for ethanol, it would replace only 12.3 percent of the gasoline used in this country, Hill's study said, adding that the energy gains of corn-produced ethanol are only modest and the environmental impacts significant."

-quote from Jason Hill, lead author of the University of Minnesota study.

If fuel consumption was cut by a third or more by using hybrid vehicles, the

12.3% previously mentioned would triple to 36%.

- from me.

Reply to
mark digital©

But, he didn't include Soybeans, Sugar Cane, Wood Chips, etc, etc, etc. Ethanol can be made from a LOT more than just corn. And, perhaps we could end the Government Subsidies paid to people NOT to grow something, and actually have them EARNING a living by providing an energy product.

Reply to
Hachiroku

How can this be? We've had some of the experts in this group stating that it takes ____ times (fill in blank) more energy to produce biofuels than it provides.

Reply to
ron

But, as someone pointed out to me, the same is true for Petrol...

Reply to
Hachiroku

But alas only corn is eligible for the federal subsidy that makes it cost effective ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The others weren't included because the intent was to discourage using corn. I believe once other "crops" come on line economics will discourage the use of corn. It wasn't necessary to fund a study. But you know how universities are. Spent it or lose it.

Reply to
mark digital

Unfortunately, hybrid vehicles are far more marketing hype than substance. Any day you can get the US government to subsidize a car, of all things, is a good one.

Reply to
FanJet

I don't imagine they are growing more than they can sell profitably.

Don't worry, genetic engineering will probably save our asses right before it kills us all. But we were going to die, anyway, right?

Reply to
Fishface

Especially a car made in a foreign county, that is already subsidized by that government, by a company that does not pay a penny in US federal corporate income taxes LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

We most likely will die, before they find a way to distribute the stuff, even if they could make enough to supply even half of the 230,000,000 vehicles the US. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, it's not like the feds are very smart, but yes that too. Unfortunately, the very same feds who made this decision promise they're protecting your a*s on the international front. I think you've said - repeatedly - that you're comfortable with that. At least bush says he sleeps good at night.

Reply to
FanJet