OT: Valentine bouquets 'are bad for the planet'

LOL.....

The Copperheads strike again!!!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Hmm, I wonder if Mrs. O will believe me if I tell her that the reason I'm skipping the flowers this year is because I'm being environmentally friendly? She didn't go for the notion that skipping birthday, anniversary, and Valentines day cards was saving trees.

Reply to
Ray O

I was wondering about that myself. The possible reasons that came to my mind were typo, or that they were measuring flower-miles, a concept like man-hours. If one flower flew 1,000 miles, then 12 flowers is 12,000 miles?

Reply to
Ray O

Now listen here, this is serious stuff!!!

Reply to
dbu,.

Not to mention bad for my wallet.

Reply to
badgolferman

LOL! I heard this Bullsh_t on Howie Carr today!

Right.

When I lived in Atlanta, I got a 'job' delivering flowers to the kids standing out on the street corners and traffic islands. (It was pretty cool...I was making as much as my friends in the Sweat Shops and only working 4 hours a day! What a gig for a Bass Playing Fool!!!)

ALL our flowers were flown in from Colorado. They came in every day at

2PM, and we would get them ready for sale by 3.

Flowers are flown all around the country every day of the week. They put them into chilled containers, and then in the hold where they stay cold, and then fly them just like Parcel Post or mail or any other deliverable that is placed aboard any other commercial flight. They don't have 'special flights' just for flowers!

This is just Bullsh_t from the Earthy-Crunchy Granolas. You know, the same k00ks that want to outlaw the Indy 500 becuase it's a waste of gas (AHEM...Indy cars ALL run on Methanol...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Haven't read the article, so this comment is probably on the same "ignorant BS" level as most responses one sees in this NG: AFAIR, many of plant products (fruit, vegetables, flowers) are grown in, say, Kenya, then air-freighted to the UK -- and, I would guess, a lot of other places. Would that be roughly 0.33 times around the earth? IOW, maybe a typo added a "1" in front?

Whatever, it _is_ crazy. But it's partly the heritage of earlier and equally insane economic policies which drove many Third World countries deep into debt and into lines of business that make not a lot of sense. Don't try to understand it (some of the noisiest fools in this NG probably don't have the capacity to, anyhow) but try to figure out how to work through it.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

It came from a U.K. paper.

Reply to
dbu,.

LOL....you KNOW the answer to that...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Ta. Yes, I noticed. (That ".uk" on the source URL's a bit of a giveaway. ) I meant that _my_ comment might be BS.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson