Power at coil both with ignition off.

Toyota 7MGE in a Cressida. I find I've got current to the coil whether the ignition is on or not. Approx .5V more with switch on. Around

10.9 V w/o switch on, approx 11.4 w/ign on.

Any suggestions as to where to look to track this down?

Also, took the coil to a local shop and it's measuring .8 ohms on the primary using a digital multimeter. Specs in the manual show .24 - .

30 . Car was running with this same coild a couple of months ago. The guy at the Toyota shop didn't think this would keep the car from running. I'm weakest on electrical issues so I don't have a feel for this. Opinions?

Also, any suggestions for how to go about testing the wires/ connections on the wiring harness? Have done next to no electrical stuff, don't mind learning.

Thanks.

Reply to
Doc

Repeating to include rec.autos.tech

Reply to
Doc

First thing to learn is to post the model year.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I'm not certain about the electrical system schematic on your Cressida, but if you have voltage to the coil at all times, I think that it must mean the ignition module is sensing a "pickup" from the Hall effect sensor and signaling the coil to fire.

You might want to check to see if you have a bad ignition module, or incorrect wiring to the module itself.

As I mentioned, not knowing the Cressida, this is a guess.

Reply to
user

aarcuda69062 wrote in news:nonelson- snipped-for-privacy@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com:

Well, he's doing better than before.

In his original thread on this subject (why he started a new one I do not know) all he said was "7MGE", leaving you to figure out both model and year.

Reply to
Tegger

Unless Comboverfish chimes in, I think you will have to take it to someone with a factory repair manual to diagnose the condition.

Reply to
Ray O