7MGE on Toyota won't run with air intake snorkle detached

7MGE on an '89 Toyota Cressida - I was going to shoot some throttle cleaner into it while running hoping to clean the throttle and idle air control valve but find that the car won't run period without the air intake snorkle assembly in place. Is that the way it is with this engine? Apparently it needs the vacuum the snorkle creates? Or does this indicate a problem? Sure different than my '66 Ford 289 which has no problem running sans air cleaner.

Thanks

Reply to
muzician21

muzician21 wrote in news:dd99b840-2af5-4241-9f4b- snipped-for-privacy@k8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Is this an injected engine? If so, that's normal.

The MAF is in the intake "snorkel". The MAF expects airflow. Disconnect the intake pipe and there's no airflow. No airflow means no fuel delivery.

Older Hondas also do just fine without the intake pipe attached. Those engines use MAPs instead of MAFs.

Reply to
Tegger

Ah...

Reply to