Ray O!! - - Belts, Hoses and fluids.

Hi Ray,

Has there been anything written about interval to replace belts/hoses? I seem to remember 3-4 years was good rule of thumb but seems that new ones have better life.

We have darned harsh summers up here in No Calif., and don't want a hose/belt. Fluid changes other than manual?

This is an 05 Avalon I am asking about.

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

Car manufacturers only inspect and replace these belts and hoses instead of having an interval because it cuts down on maintenance costs. But that does you no good in pouring rain on a country road at night. I'd use the timing belt interval as a guide, although belts and hoses last longer. Just to note, many car manufacturers tell you to change the tires after 6 years because of rubber degradation.

In fact, Gates ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) radiator hoses clocked over 200K miles in fleet service without signs of electrochemical degradation. But unlike some people's timing belts, I wouldn't go that far.

So it all depends on your tolerance to being stranded. A Gates radiator/bypass hose is about $10-15 (rockauto.com). So it's the safe side and use timing belt interval as a guide: if severe service - do your belts and hoses 5yr/60K miles (in fact, accessory belts are routinely chagned with the timing belt). Normal service 6yr/90K miles. But no more than 7yr/105K miles if you really want to stretch it.

Reply to
johngdole

As johngdole mentioned, Toyota just has belt and hose inspection at various intervals instead of a stated replacement interval. Hoses are pretty easy to keep an eye on so I would just replace them if they start to deteriorate. We still have the original hoses on our '97 Avalon with 140,000 miles.

I would replace accessory drive belts at the same time as the timing belt is replaced since they have to come off to replace the timing belt.

The only fluid changes other than what is listed in the owner's manual I recommend is brake fluid replacement every other brake job. Brake fluid is hydrophilic and absorbs water over time. The water in the brake fluid can corrode brake lines and calipers, and replacing brake fluid is relatively easy and inexpensive.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks guys! I was kind of figuring that longer (to a point) was better. My wife drives our 05 Avalon which has only 21k miles but 3 years on it. She has recently returned to doing field Nursing visits after 4-5 years in the office (she is an RN ) so don't want her stranded will do as you both suggest.

Ron in Ca

Reply to
ron

You're welcome!