Subframe -> body bushes

Is there a way of determining if these need replacing? I could just go with my instint and get them but the 6 of them together come in at approximately

600USD. This, in my opinion, is rediculous for 6 rubber and metal cylinders. They're rusty and they do allow flex, but they are designed to do that, its jsut to what degree is considered dead?!

Any ideas welcome, James

Reply to
Coyoteboy

As long as there is no play between the subframe and the body, I wouldn't bother changing the bushings.

Reply to
Ray O

I've decided to get two of the six and replace the two that are the most 'sloppy'. That way I get to correct what looks like an issue and then have something to compare the others with. Theres some minimal play (jack the car on and off the wheel and you see slight movement) so I'll give it a shot. They are16 years old lol.

Ta, J

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Good luck with the project!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray,

Brief overview of the work ive done so far!

Cheers, James

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Great pictures!

When you first posted the question, so replacing the bushings ("Bushes" in the U.K.?) sounded like a lot of work because I didn't realize that you had the car apart already.

In the U.S., Ford dealers sell a suspension bushing lubricant. It comes in a squeeze tube, is transparent, and has the consistency of tar. I believe it is a silicone lubricant. This stuff is very effective and might be useful where the bushing contacts metal to stop squeaks and slow down rust from abrasion. The stuff works very well, I used to use it on squeaky rear sway bar bushings on Camrys.

Reply to
Ray O