Camry LE V6 versus Prius

Would you traded in a Camry 05 LE V6 with 20000 miles for a 2006 Prius with

0 miles? Taking in consideration that you spend about $40 every 4 days on gas.
Reply to
Enrique A

You might want to read CR report that hybrids cost for nearly $4,000 to $7,000 MORE to own over five years than a comparable conventionally power vehicle, even at $5 gallon and including tax rebates. In ten years the scenario is even worse as resale value tanks with the prospect of replacing the battery pack at a cost of $3,000 to $7,000

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No. But I wonder why you ask. These's are two really different cars. If you like numbers, why not go to Edmunds and check out a cost per mile, or is it true cost of ownership. You have depreciation, insurance and operating costs.

I have an old pickup that uses 20 gallons of gas a week. That's $200 a month in fuel, average $100 a month repairs and very low insurance. Your Prius payment and insurance is more than I pay.

Reply to
Alex

If you cut your fuel consumption in half, that's $5 per day at current prices or $150 per month.

If gas goes up a little, your savings increase. Maybe gas won't go up. Maybe it will go up astronomically. It might even go down. What if you change jobs and drive more? Drive less? Move onto a bus route? Is car-pooling an option?

Do you want the $150 per month? Is it an even swap or do you have to throw in another couple $K for the Prius? If you have to throw in, for example, $3K, you break even in 20 months (at present gas prices, ignoring cost-of-money considerations). Will you save money on insurance? Get to use the HOV lane and get to work quicker?

Will you get some inherent satisfaction out of owning a hybrid? Is the Prius big enough? Is the Camry bigger than you need?

Of course, you could also cut your daily fuel consumption and, probably, save on insurance by switching to a Corolla. Savings will vary depending on where and how you drive. You probably won't save as much gas but you'll save some. Would a Corolla be an even swap? Could you sell the Camry for MORE than a Corolla?

***
Reply to
DH

When you own a Prius you'll rediscover the joy of just driving for the heck of it. Go where you wanna go. Do what you wanna do. Pay for your gas with pocket change. Forget to bring home milk? The trip to the store pays for the milk!! Put your money into a new car instead of burning the equivalent in fuel. So what if it takes 12 seconds to reach 60 miles per hour? You still can cross an intersection from a dead stop faster than anyone else. Your top end is still faster than what most people have balls for. The car is solid, quiet and handles very nicely. You can rip up a steep incline faster than a BMW. Freakin smooth acceleration my man. Can't beat it.

Reply to
mark digital

Not unless its to get you in restricted HOV lanes and thats important to you or you need the tax rebate. Unless you live/work where yo commute 90% of time in heavy stop and go traffic forget the Prius. You'd take a huge beating on the Camry and pay an unreasonable premium for the Prius.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I didn't though of that! $7000 every 10 years ...... that's like $600 per year property tax.

Reply to
Enrique A

You made me go to the dealer yesterday to test drove a prius!, LOL

and I also test drove the new camry 2007, and it's a lot bigger so it makes you think if you really need a prius .. so here's the scenario:

1 ) 33 mpg ...2007 camry 4cylinder 5 speed auto tranny. $19700 +T&L 2) 60 mpg ...2006 prius . $23100 +T&L
Reply to
Enrique A

i love toyotas own two. but that prius is one ugly car. anyone that thinks it looks good must be something wrong with them.

Reply to
Dave Dave

"Consumer Reports now says it made an error when calculating the cost of owning a hybrid: Owners of the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic hybrids do save money, the magazine said today.

Last week, the organization released a statement ahead of its well-read April auto issue, which hit newsstands today, that said owners of the six most popular hybrid vehicles would pay more than buyers of comparable gasoline-only vehicles over their lifetime of ownership.

Late today, however, Consumer Reports issued a statement acknowledging ``a calculation error.''

``We deeply regret the error,'' said Rik Paul, the magazine's automotive editor, said in the statement.

The new calculations show that owners of the Toyota Prius will save $400 and owners of the Honda Civic will save $300 when compared with gasoline-only counterparts. Owners of four other hybrids -- the Honda Accord, Ford Escape, Toyota Highlander and Lexus RX 400h -- will still end up spending $1,900 to $5,500 more during five years of ownership and 75,000 miles, Consumer Reports said."

Reply to
Kaschim

At least you had a chance to drive one. As far as we're concerned we knew a hybrid was going to be in our future so we skipped the baby steps which is a loss in it's self and bought one. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

No.

Reply to
Sharx35

Nope. Camry beats the Prius, hands down. Gas is still cheap, compared to many other commodities. There's more to life than saving a few pennies on gas.

Reply to
Sharx35

Repent at leisure. Stand by for enormous repair bills, compared to the Camry.

Reply to
Sharx35

Stick with the Camry if you do lots of highway travel. Like "wolfgang" said, if you do 90% city travel, then it might be worth it. The fuel economy isn't much better than a Corolla out on the highway because it constantly uses the gas engine. I believe the electric battery charges when you stop or press the brakes, so when you're out on the highway - guess what? You rarely touch the brakes. I would think the Prius would be fun to drive, however. I've heard a hybrid is like a golf cart in how it drives - my grandma has a golf cart and it's really fun to drive.

Reply to
Travis King

You could conceivably use more fuel in city driving if the trip is less than

20 minutes and conceivably use less fuel in highway driving if the trip is more than 20 minutes. And just because the engine is running doesn't mean there isn't times it's not above 75 mpg or more on level ground cruising at 60 especially in the summer when the warm air has less resistance. When I was in New Brunswick Ca. I held it at 110 kph many times and my overall mpg after driving 2500 miles was 50.
Reply to
mark digital