Help - Capri running hot Part II (a bit long)

I did ask about this yesterday, but the "german server" appears to have lost all posts from then, so apologies for starting another thread.

Right. I put in a thermostat yesterday, bled the air out, topped it up again cold this morning and went for a 30 mile thrash on m-way, sitting in traffic and country roads. No overheating. Heater blew hot all the time. Gauge still got *near* the top, but not into it as before. Once back up to speed - 40 or

50mph , the gauge drops right back down to normal and as long as I don't slow down to a crawl, stays there whether I thrash the car or not.

So, those nice people who replied yesterday and reckoned my rad is silted up - looks like you might be right. It's much better than without a thermostat - it must have made bleeding it more effective for a start.

So, my final questions...

What's the best way to un-silt my rad? Hosepipe and reverse flush? My problem is that the water pressure here is pants and It might not be strong enough. Failing that, does anyone know where I can get a new rad for a Capri 2.8i? Partco and Cafco say £75+vat to get mine recored, which I'm willing to pay, just wondered if anyone know of a supplier of rads round the Marlow/Wycombe/Slough/Reading area which may have one on the shelf cheaper?

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

The message from "Mike P" contains these words:

That, and take it out and shake it side to side with detergent.

Reply to
Guy King

So, my final questions...

I've never had much joy flushing rads - much better to get it recored in my experience.

Reply to
TimM

TimM waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Tablespoon of caustic soda, that'll cure it ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

Unless you do that to an aluminium radiator, in which case there wont be much of it around for long....!

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Thanks Chaps. Took rad out today and flushed it through. Didn't get much crap out of it and water does flow through it slowly compared to the Sierra rad I have in the shed. Taken it away to be recored today, should have it back Friday.

Anyone know the best ratio of antifreeze/water to put in this (2.8V6 Cologne Engine). Can't seem to find the answer in the Haynes book of lies

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

50/50 is usual

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I run the SD1 on 50:50, and it's still on its original rad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

try the airport rad company, next to the jolly waggoner pub on the A4/A316 (or is it A314?) junction for a price or they can recon your old one

most likely cause of the overheating is a combination of fecked fan/viscous bit and the engine not being properly watered up, leading to an air lock or a hot spot there is only one way to do the V6 and that's to let the engine heat up without the expansion tank cap on and when it's justa bout to boil over put the cap back on and le the engine cool down for a few hours the water then goes back to the bits of the engine that are air locked and this solves the problem

Reply to
dojj

33% minium, 50% recommended, all year around.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

bar removing it and bolting a plate on to lock it up, no if you do do this, you will find that it makes a noise like an auto AND uses a hell of a lot more fuel but better to do it than shell out £100 for a new fan or cook the engine

Reply to
dojj