Tire gauge off by 7 pounds

So when it read 125 it was really 132. I asked my mechanic to compare my gauge to his after he rotated my tires. I asked how he knew his was OK and he said it just got a new calibrated insert and it checks out fine with the rest of his co-worker's gauges. Bad news is I may have been over doing it by 7 pounds, making it just as bad as being underinflated. The ride is more comfortable (duh!!) and mileage has improved. Good news is the rotation was free. mark_

Reply to
mark digital

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D See:

nospampls2002

If you were inflating car tires to 125 or 132 PSI, you're lucky they didn't blow up in your face, and the tires would be rock hard.

Inflating your tires about 5 or 7 PSI over the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure will provide a longer tire tread life, better handling, better fuel economy, at the cost of a harsher ride. For most passenger cars, 35 PSI is good.

Reply to
Ray O

I was thinking the same thing you were.

Manufacturer of the automobile, right?

What about vans? I have mine set to 35 PSI but only because the tire says max pressure is 35 PSI.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes.

35 PSI seems a little low for a max pressure for a tire. Usually, the max pressure listed on a tire is in the neighborhood of 40 PSI. If the tire says that the max pressure is 35 PSI, then I wouldn't go over.
Reply to
Ray O

Had almost forgotten about an incident that happened to me a bunch of years ago. I had stopped at some service stn and was using one of those 'air dispensers' where you set the pressure with a crank gizmo and it dings repeadely till it stops dinging and you proceed to the next tire etc. I noticed that the gizmo was taking an inordanently long time to stop dinging so I checked and the tire seemed damned hard. The kid looking after the station didn't have a tiregauge (neither did I) so I drove off to the next service stn and borrowed a tiregauge...Keerist!, I had

55 PSI in that tire!...I adjusted it on the spot and zinged back to the first place, told the kid to put a sign on that unit. He didn't seem too clued up so I asked him for his boss's number and he thanked me profusely for calling, said he'd be right down (and was - I waited). Took me out to dinner a week later. :)
Reply to
Gord Beaman

Hmmm, maybe I should stop using my compressor and start visiting gas stations for air!!

BTW, even good quality tire pressure gauges are inexpensive enough that I keep one in every vehicle, plus a couple in my tool box. The gauge on my Wilton tire inflator is right on, so I usually do not even bother with a tire pressure gauge.

Reply to
Ray O

LOL! Of course I meant 25 and 32. I was in the middle of doing a water analysis and somehow an extra "100" managed to work it's way into my post.

mark_

Reply to
mark digital

Better on the ng than in your pool water analysis...LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Go with the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure plus 5 or 7 PSI. happy swimming!

Reply to
Ray O

At the risk of asking a stupid question, what are you filling to 125PSI?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It was a mistake of course but there are vehicle tyres that need that kind of pressure. I have a large plant trailer towed behind a Mercedes Actros and a 16ft three and a half ton trailer that is pulled by the Cruiser which needs 115psi.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

As a matter of interest the tires (smaller than a car tire) on a Vulcan (Brit V Bomber) use 400 PSI (and there's likely a/c who use higher pressures...it's just like kicking a concrete building block...I did it once in Goose Bay Canada.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

A tire story, I was working on the rent house across the street, I had backed my pickup over there and it had a slow leak tire and the old worn tire was about flat. I put one of those little cigarette lighter air compressor pumps on it, to inflate it. I needed to get something from my house across the street. Of course I got busy doing something else and forgot about the little compressor running. Later when I remembered I went over to find the little compressor still running but the little pump on it had worn out, the gage on the compressor showed 105 lbs, that was all it could handle before breaking. In this case the tire was mightier then the pump.

Reply to
Moe