1980 Tercel distributor pickup coil voltage

Would anyone have any idea how much voltage I should measure at the plug on the end of the distributor pickup coil, while the engine is cranking? I believe the igniter and the ignition coil are ok, but I have replaced the pickup coil and still have no spark. The voltage is running around 0.5 volt I think, when the engine cranks.

This thing has really got me snowed. No spark, voltage across primary of coil is way too low when cranking the engine. When I put a 1.5 volt battery across the pickup coil connector (the input of the igniter) the voltage on the ignition coil primary looks a lot better, around 9 volts I think. With that test I feel like the igniter is doing its job. The ignition coil tests ok with an ohmmeter (no opens anyway). To me, everything points to the distributor pickup coil and I was really surprised when changing that didn't fix the problem.

Thanks.

Mac

Reply to
Mike

Start by checking to make sure all of the connections are good, including the high tension wires.

You should have battery voltage at the positive terminal of the coil with the ignition switch on.

Resistance across the primary should be between .3 and .6 ohms.

Resistance between the positive terminal on the coil and the high tension terminal should be between 9 and 15 ohms.

Here are the specs for a '93 Previa, they should be similar for your car:

The air gap between the pickup coil and the signal rotor (looks like a gear) on the distributor should be between .2 and .4 mm (0.008 and 0.016 in.).

Resistance for the pickup coil terminals: NE-G: 155-240 ohms G1-G: 125-190 ohms G2-G: 125-190 ohms

On this vintage Tercel, the igniter was a fairly common culprit for no-spark conditions.

Reply to
Ray O

I figured the problem would be the igniter, since that is the most expensive part, but the service manual tells how to test it. You unplug the pickup coil from the input of the igniter, (momentarily) place a 1.5 volt battery across the input of the igniter, and measure the voltage between chassis ground and the negative terminal at the ignition coil. Should be 5 to 8 volts and I am getting about 8 volts there when testing. When I remove the

1.5 volt battery, the voltage goes to 0. With that test I felt like the igniter was probably ok.

You do mean the coil resistance between the secondary and the positive terminal on the coil should be between 9 and 15 THOUSAND ohms don't you? 9 ohms would be awfully low I would think.

Thanks! Mac

Reply to
Mike

The Previa service manual does not list a procedure for checking the igniter, but it does sound like you igniter is working.

Oops! Yes, the resistance should be between 9 and 15 thousand ohms. Sorry!

Reply to
Ray O