Toyota ECHO

The 2005 Toyota ECHO is a 2- or 4-door, 5-passenger family coupe, or family sedan, available in two trims, the 2-Door Sedan and the 4-Door Sedan.

Upon introduction, both trims are equipped with a standard 1.5-liter, I4,

108-horsepower engine that achieves 35-mpg in the city and 42-mpg on the highway. A 5-speed manual transmission with overdrive is standard, and a 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is optional.

Visit to see the features and its pictures at

miller

Don't bother if you live in the northeastern US. The Echo is no longer sold there.

Are ads welcome in this NG?

Brent "We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom." -- Stephen Vincent Benét

Reply to
Brent

No, they are not. Looks like I'll have to make a trip over there...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

sedan, available in two trims, the 2-Door Sedan and the 4-Door Sedan.

108-horsepower engine that achieves 35-mpg in the city and 42-mpg on the highway. A 5-speed manual transmission with overdrive is standard, and a 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is optional.

Please remove your spam from this ng...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Brent wrote: snip of spam

No they aren't Brent...if we don't complain then the newsgroups will be overrun with spam and we won't have space to use it for what its intended...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Go for it Bruce...sock it to em. I emailed them complaining...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Like political rhetoric?

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

sedan, available in two trims, the 2-Door Sedan and the 4-Door Sedan.

I actually appreciate this ad, because I learned that the Echo is no longer sold in the Northeast, which explains why I hadn't seen one lately.

Anybody know why they aren't sold here?

Seems to me that the Echo is the next best thing at this point to the Smart car or the VW Lupo, neither of which are available in the USA yet.

Reply to
Bush is a Fascist

Echos did not account for a large portion of Toyota's sales, so dealers don't want to stock them. If dealers don't want to stock them, then the folks who sell the cars to the dealers end up spending a disproportionate amount of time trying to get dealer to buy something they don't want.

Reply to
Ray O

sedan, available in two trims, the 2-Door Sedan and the 4-Door Sedan.

108-horsepower engine that achieves 35-mpg in the city and 42-mpg on the highway. A 5-speed manual transmission with overdrive is standard, and a 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive is optional.

The Echo is a Done Deal. I bet this guy has a boatload of them (we have ONE used one) and is tryiing to unload them, because the public (Except for Nat, of course...)has been staying away from this ugly little thing in droves.

I happen to like them, and I would like a nice 2 door 5 speed, but I can't afford one right now...and they are OUT of production.

Reply to
SupraGenius

That is really a pity, because "us poor folks" can't afford the pricier cars that these dealers want to sell. Methinks what is actually happening is gentrification of the region. Everywhere I look nowadays I need Lexuses, Audis, etc.

I also noticed that Honda has dropped their cheap hatchback, at least in this region.

I think I'll just wait for the Smart car. At least that's a company that cares about customers' needs.

Reply to
Bush is a Fascist

You'd think that, like in years past, when the price of gas goes up, the econoboxes sell in record numbers. Either people don't care anymore, or they just like the camrys so much it doesn't matter.

Big shift from RAVs, Highlanders and 4-Runners (fixed Freudian slip...I had typed $-Runner...have you seen a price tag recently?) to Prius and Camrys. The Corollas seem to be lagging way behind, too.

Reply to
SupraGenius

Yeah! A bunch of Off-Topic, Political posts!

Reply to
SupraGenius

There is still a healthy demand for very small gas sippers, as evidenced by brisk sales of the Aveo. In order for consumers to want small cars, the cars need to outstanding class gas milage, interior space, or style. Unfortunately, the Echo's style did not appeal to a big enough group of consumers to warrant continued efforts for Toyota to sell. I think Scion sales also robbed some Echo sales.

I read somewhere that Toyota will begin to sell the Vitz in the U.S., and discontinuance of Echo sales is probably a precursor to Vitz sales.

Reply to
Ray O

Who knows? As the price of gas goes up, demand for gas sippers will begin to rise. You have to admit, once you get used to a larger, more comfortable and more powerful model, it's hard to go back.

Reply to
Ray O

*fwap* I'm not the only one who bought the damned Echo!

I'm just glad I have the first model. The newer Echoes are dull as dirt - they look like lots of other cars out there - what's the point of that?!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Too bad the Aveo is a gas guzzler in its class. EPA rated it as 27/35 with a 5-speed manual. Even the larger Corolla gets better mileage than that--with an automatic.

The Echo actually sold well here in Canada, where gas costs a lot more than in the U.S. even after you do imperial-to-metric and currency conversions.

Would this be similar to the Yaris that Toyota is bringing to Canada?

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I'll go with a Vitz! There are a lot of tuner parts available in Asia for the Vitz. It's like the Starlet Glanza that's sold in a lot of other countries, particularly Oz and NZ. There's a whole Boy Racer culture built around the car.

Reply to
SupraGenius

They don't need washing as often?

Reply to
Ray O

That's what I mean about style being a major factor in a young person's buying decision.

toyota.com has a picture of the 2007 Yaris to be sold in the U.S. Toyota's Japanese web site has a picture of the Vitz:

Looks they're the same vehicle with a different badge.

Reply to
Ray O