Toyota gets terminated with Extreme Prejudice...

...or, at least, the car alarm does....

Man Arrested for Shooting Out Car Alarm Man Arrested for Shooting Out Car Alarm Thursday, August 11, 2005

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. ? A man annoyed by a noisy car alarm fired at least three bullets into a Toyota Camry, silencing the alarm and bringing out police who hauled him away in handcuffs, authorities said.

David Owen Rye, 48, was arrested and booked for investigation of reckless discharge of a firearm and felony vandalism, Sgt. John Adamczyk said. Rye allegedly told officers he grabbed his handgun and went out to put a stop to the car alarm.

The owner of the Camry, a sailor whose ship the USS Theodore Roosevelt (search) just returned from an eight-month cruise, was visiting a friend when he heard the gunfire at about 10 p.m. Tuesday, KCAL-TV reported.

"I mean, that's not a safe guy. I mean, you get upset over an alarm, over a noise like that, [then] there's some little kids making too much noise and he decides to do something awful," sailor Nicholas Moreno, 25, said.

Police were called to the Yosemite Avenue apartment building and Rye was ordered out of his apartment by an officer with a bullhorn. A Los Angeles Police Department (search) helicopter also responded and Rye was arrested.

Neighbor Ken Davis said he heard gunshots and looked outside to see Rye holding a gun.

"It was little scary," Davis said. "I didn't know what kind of mood he was in. I didn't want to say anything to him."

From Fox News

========================================================== Talk about being just a *WEE* bit peeved... :P

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Goes to show you not everyone is enamored with Toyotas...

Reply to
badgolferman

Hey, a LOT of people don't like Japanese cars!

Reply to
HachiRoku

Of course he shouldn't have done that, but I can certainly understand the sentiment. When I lived in Florida last year, in an apartment, there were about 4 different cars whose alarms went off when some stupid twit would drive through with blaring bass on their car stereos. I think alarms are pretty much useless, since nobody's going to lift a finger to stop a thief from stealing your heap. I know there are way more sophisticated ones that aren't so sensitive, but I find alarms to be nothing more than yet more noise pollution. Has anyone here ever seen where a car alarm actually stopped a car theft?

Natalie, just curious

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That would be the way I see it, too.

Not to mention the whole "little boy that cried wolf" syndrome....we've all heard WOLF WOLF so much, we just don't give a shit anymore.

Not to my knowledge.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

heh - I'm shocked :-P

Yup - and the milk of human kindness is sour these days

Anyone else?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Good Gawd, a Celica I could understand but.....

Reply to
FanJet

O_O

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Alarm

Being local, we got to see the tv reports about this. My initial reaction to the story was to laugh. Then I immediately told myself, "Badgirl.", in between bouts of laughter.

I'm sorry, but the underlying humor in this stunt was just too ripe.

**YEP! Gawd, I hate car alarms.

**Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Probably should've added 'having the alarm to begin with' ;)

Reply to
FanJet

Logic states that the only people who give a sh*t about a tripped burglar alarm (car or house) are the owner, members of their immediate family, and neighbors who are friends or in an active Neighborhood Watch program.

Nobody else is going to do much more - except maybe stay way back and get a description of the thief, and tell the cops which direction they drove off. But I wouldn't put money on even that much. More likely, they close the windows and turn up the TV or stereo, it's that whole dumb "I'm not getting involved" mindset.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

WHEW!

Natalie, putting the nitro glycerin tablet back into its bottle...

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I wouldn't say it's 'dumb', since we're so used to the damned things making a racket for no good reason.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

A while back (before car alarms got to be common) I installed a LOUD JC Whitney mechanical siren and voltage drop sensor on my Dodge coupe. I didn't put any warning decals on the car, and the on-off key switch was mounted in an unobtrusive location.

While I was at work one Saturday a thief broke out the left front wing window and reached inside to open the door, setting off the alarm when the dome light came on. S/he was in such a hurry to get their arm out that they scraped it on the broken glass sill of the wing window. There was blood everywhere - I guess they cut a vein. The car wasn't otherwise vandalized, and nothing was taken.

Would such an alarm work today in a crowded parking lot? I doubt it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Aftermarket security systems seem to be very prone to false alarms, I have never had that problem with the factory security system.

Reply to
Ray O

Me too, but what poetic justice!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Exactly. Hence my mentioning of the term "cry wolf... "

We've heard "WOLF" so much, we figure there just ain't one there...

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Um, whoa up there, FJ...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Nice....

Did you hear my story about the Blaupunkt with the razor blades soldered in? Same thing...

Reply to
HachiRoku