Transmission oil change

I have a 2001 Chev Prism (Toyota engine and drive train). I just had it in to the Chevy dealer for an oil chang (38000 miles). They told me that the transmission oil was black and should be flushed and changed at a cost of $130. This dealership is noted for "finding" unneeded, expensive service so I don't trust them. To me, the transmission oil looks dark but not black. The owners manual recommends changing every

15000 miles of "severe" service. I live in the country and I don't consider my driving as "severe". Am I being hustled? Would a simple change of the transmission oil be a good idea? TIA

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Our experience with flushing the tranny? On a higher mileage car, our experience is: DON'T!!! After 2 tranny failures after a flush, we won't do it any more. On a car with this mileage, you should be OK. Just ask them what they use for tranny fluid; I'm sure it's a Toyota approved replacement.

Just as a refereance, the nearest place to us that does flushes is $89. BUT, since I have a Chrysler, I asked them if they use ATF+3, the Chrysler recommendation for my car. They don't. They use Dextron/Mercon with 'modifiers'. Not in MY car, you don't! If they had ATF+3 I might try it, but I have 148,000 on the car and don't think I'd do it. Most techs here will tell you not to flush the tranny with high mileage.

Reply to
hachiroku

As someone else mentioned, there are places that will do a complete fluid change for less. If the pan has a drain plug or u want to take the time to install one ... I'd just replace the pan contents @ the next several DIY oil changes. Dark/burnt smelling fluid has been worked hard for some reason.

Reply to
JeB

This dealership is noted for "finding" unneeded, expensive service so I don't trust them.

--------- Why do you go there?

It is a good idea to change the transmission fluid at 15,000 mile intervals. Per Toyota, you never need to do anything other than change the fluid by draining the drain plug in the transmission pan. Transmissions are really expensive, and if they ever get rebuilt they're usually never as good as when new, so I like to keep up on transmission maintenance even more than the minimum recommendation. Depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. Some people maintain those things to go over 300,000 miles. A lot of people don't seem surprised if the transmission breaks after around 130,000 miles, but from the transmission shops I've talked to, the usual cause is neglecting to keep the fluid clean. Transmission fluid has the conflicted task of both lubricating the gears and bearings, while not being too slippery for the clutches to grip. Wear from the multi plate internal clutches can cause contaminants to collect in the fluid. Also, standard transmission fluid can break down over time, and with exposure to increased temperatures. That's why I like the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF - increased resistance to thermal breakdown. I'd like the transmission to last forever. If you just use standard fluid (check your owner's manual) the few quarts you'll use only costs a few dollars, plus the cost of a drain plug gasket and a 10mm Allen head socket to remove it. If you can let it drain over night, that's even better. Just do that a couple of times, (doesn't have to be immediately consecutive), and you should clean up the fluid which is certainly worth while in preserving transmission life. Actually, I don't think 38,000 miles is a lot - though if that's the original fluid it is overdue. I had the fluid in mine "exchanged" - no solvent or flushing fluid used, just a machine that had two tanks and with the engine idling, slowly replaces all the fluid with new. The drain pan holds around 2.5 quarts against total capacity of around

6 qts. on mine, so that's why it helps to drain more than once. The machine gets you all clean fluid right at once, but if you don't trust the dealer - don't go there. Untrustworthy mechanics can create all kinds of problems for you as I've learned through experience. That's the kind of experience that has encouraged me to acquire the tools and learn to do all my own work. I suspect that's one reason my cars last so long. When I did the major servicing I found bolts over tightened around the timing belt, a chipped crankshaft pulley, misaligned thermostat, sealant where it didn't belong on the water pump sealing surfaces, plus two stripped transmission pan bolts (all from prior mechanics) - and this is minor compared to other experiences I've had. Bottom line - find a good mechanic you trust if you're going to have someone work on your car. If you don't feel comfortable with them, keep looking.
Reply to
nospampls2002

I go to the dealer for oil changes because they only charge $9.95 for oil AND filter plus they check all fluids and fill the washer bottle. Also, they provide the 5W30 oil that many places don't. When I say I don't trust them I am not referring to the mechanics - they seem to do good work. I don't trust the service managers and their recommendations. I will look for a good small shop to change (not flush) the transmission oil!

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Did you ask them what they charge to just change the fluid?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard