Trip Report - 2008 Chicago Auto Show visit - partly OT

I spent around 6 hours at the Chicago Auto Show on Saturday, saw some nice rides, missed some others.
I didn't see Aston Martin or Ferrari :-(
I didn't have to stand around handing out bags as brochures for 8 hours :-D
Most creative special edition car name: "Thunder Bunny" VW Rabbit concept
Longest wait to sit in a vehicle: toss-up: U.S. Army's Bradley Fighting Vehicle and DCX's ride on a skating rink.
Biggest bang for the buck: U.S. Army - Bradley, Cobra Attack Aircraft, Psy-Ops Humvee
Model who obviously did not know what she was doing: Toyota model walking around the Tundra display with a carpenter's tool belt worn backwards
The crowds seemed slightly less than last year for many exhibits, but Toyota and Lexus were both mobbed. I don't know if this is because they were both near the entrances, but we pretty much had to wait to get close to and sit in any Toyota and Lexus. The Honda, Acura, Nissan, and Infiniti displays did not seem as crowded as Toyota, Scion, and Lexus.
Toyota had several Tundras on display. The Double Cab has a fair amount of back seat room, the Crew Max cab had room for back seat passengers to really stretch out. Interior comfort and appointments were comparable to the new Silverado.
The 2008 Highlander looks like it is a little bigger than the current generation with a strong resemblance to the current generation Rav4.
The FT-HS concept looks better in person than in photos.
The Scion xD looks more like an xB than the xA it replaces.
I might enjoy riding in the reclining/massaging rear seat in the LS 460L instead of being behind the steering wheel!
The Chevy Silverado is very nicely done and I'd bet that it will make a pretty big dent in F150 sales.
The Corvette still draws crowds.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

--

Scott in Florida

I didn't take her picture, she wasn't that photogenic.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:54:40 -0600, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:>

LOL...how are we to trust you?
;-)
--

Scott in Florida

They probably gave her the carpenter's tool pouch to wear because she was built more like a carpenter than a Hollywood starlet ;-)
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:23:36 -0600, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:>

LOL....
Toyota is going down hill, now?
I would guess they were more like starlets when you were involved....
--

Scott in Florida

Just a little bit ;-)
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:02:23 -0600, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:>

Having done trade shows....it is MUCH more fun to do it with good looking scenery....and you get more people to your booth...
--

Scott in Florida

<snipped>

"Good looking" depends on your point of view. When I worked the auto show in San Francisco, male models in tight leotards brought big crowds. I'm thinking that the auto show manager knows his job well ;-)
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:03:44 -0600, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:>

That would work in Key West....too....LOL
--

Scott in Florida

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:21:19 -0600, Ray O wrote:

I WANT ONE!!!!!!
I get it now Ray, she had other stuff on besides the tool belt. That explains why no picture.
I have also heard good things about the Silverado. But still hoping for a new 'Lander this summer.
Ron in Ca
A model with a tool belt... Did she have english or metric?

LOL! Dunno, I didn't ask.