What to do about dishonest mechanic?

Hi there, I dunno if anyone has any tips here, but... I recently took my car in to a small local mechanic. He gave me a price over the phone. Because I wasn't able to get to the place before closing time due to work, I left it there with the key, without seeing a written estimate or signing anything. Trusting, I know, but the guy had been recommended by a friend and had seemed trustworthy before. Anyway, I come to get it later, and to make things short the price was much higher than he had said earlier, and he hadn't even done everything I'd requested.

It would be one thing if he'd said the work had been more difficult than anticipated, and had explained convincingly why, but this guy claims to have said one thing when he clearly originally told me something else.

Is there anything I can do in this situation? I haven't signed my name to anything; its basically my word against his.

Reply to
Bill Johnston

If the shop is AAA certified and you are an AAA member, sometimes they will arbitrate a disagreement. If you paid by credit card, sometimes the credit card company will intervene on their customer's behalf. You can try the Better Business Bureau or one of those consumer advocate reporters for your local newspaper or news station.

Reply to
Ray O

Overcharging and not doing a complete job is his way of telling you I don't want to see you or your vehicle again. Normally a person gets burned and doesn't return. I believe that's what he's counting on. If you do come back everything will always be on his terms, not yours. If the amount isn't way too high I suggest just telling your "friend" thanks a lot for screwing you over.

Reply to
mark digital

Hmm...well, it ammounts to about $350 excess, counting what it'd take to have someone else complete the job. I haven't paid the guy yet, if that counts for anything.

Reply to
Bill Johnston

You have your car back and didn't pay him yet? Sounds like I misjudged him and your friend.

Reply to
mark digital

There sure is, you can look up the meaning of the word 'estimate,' before the next time you take your vehicle somewhere to be repaired ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Have you ever heard of the words, theft of services, litigation or mechanics lean? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Is sound more like his friend and the mechanic misjudged HIS integrity.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

No, he still has it...

Reply to
Bill Johnston

Like I said, that's not the issue. It isn't that more needed to be done, or that it was more difficult than he thought it would be. He simply claims I told him to do X for X price, when I told him to do Y for Y price, and I recall the conversation word for word and was writing it down as he said it. Of course I'm going to pay him, but I don't like being lied to, and was wondering if I have any recourse.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Bill Johnston

I'm not sure that it will help in this situation, but always get an estimate in writing before authorizing repairs!

Reply to
Ray O

Different states have different rules. I think your best bet would be to contact your local consumer division of the attorney general's office. Maybe they might call him on your behalf. I feel sorry for you man but you have to get something on paper before any work gets done. Don't take chances. Very few people have a conscience and won't think twice in stiffing an unexpecting person.

Reply to
mark digital

Yeh...but who has your car?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I don't believe that I've ever heard of 'mechanics lean'...

Mind you, I have heard of 'mechanic's lien'...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

LOL....

picky picky...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

He probably let you have the car back without paying first because your friend referred you. Sounds like someone is about to lose two friends.

Reply to
Moe

At this point, since you have nothing in writing, you're going to have to pay whatever he is charging you in order to get your car back. What you should have done was left a written statement (keeping a copy for yourself) of your phone conversation, listing the repairs to be made and the estimated costs given to you over the phone.

Sometimes the lessons we learn the best are the expensive ones. Unfortunate, but true.

Reply to
Bob V

What we have here is a failure to comunicate

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

I believe so in more ways than one. Usually a lax attitude happens only after each side knows each other. It begins by noting services requested and payment expected by some type of traceable means. My father used to say quite often "A friend of yours is a friend of mine" but he was the professional tradesman, not the receiver of the services. He most often gave the client more than expected at a fair price. He also returned phone calls which is rare nowadays.

Reply to
mark digital

Just shoot him.

There is nothing more simple and straight forward than an automobile, and if the actual price comes in way above the estimate given without even looking at the car, then the only solution is a bullet right between the eyes.

Both you and the mechanic made a serious error here, you left the car with a guy you did not know, and the mechanic said "x" without any basis in fact, resulting in him actually doing "y".

Yep, it's time for bullets to fly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland