Vectra 1.8 - cambelt or chain?

Hi,

a relative is about to purchase a 2002 ( I think) Vectra 1.8 (petrol)

He's been told that it has a chain, rather than a belt - but I have a nagging suspicion that it is actually a timing belt.

It's done 60,000 - dunno what the recommended change interval is (if it is a belt) or whether a belt change has been done previously.

Anyone know if it's belt or chain?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam

I'm sure they're all belts.

Reply to
Conor

I think 2002 was the changeover from Vectra B to C, so it depends what shape it is.

The B is belt; change interval was originally 80K; not too many made it that far! Current manufacturers interval is 40K, but 36K is safer. It's also best to change the water pump at the same time because if the pump fails, it generally snaps the timing belt.

If your relative's car is a "B", and it has 60K on it with no belt history, tell him to get it done *NOW*, as in today!

The C is chain cam, and incidentally is a much better car all round.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

---------

Thanks for that - my relative (son in law) was told by the seller (a car supermarket) that it was a chain after he'd made a point of inquiring about the belt change intervals ;)

I had deep suspicions - and I wanted to confirm it before he signed on the dotted.

I also saw another job lot of cars at another supermarket - 2006 Daewoo's (can't quite bring myself to call them 'Chevvies') which had 39,000 miles on them. The seller lied through his teeth and said that the belt change interval was 80,000 ;)

Since they're old Astra units, I assume that the change is actually at

40,000? - and that's probably why they were chopped in at 39,000.

Dealers! - are there no straight ones out there?!!!

Anyway, thanks again for the info - it's appreciated.

Reply to
Sam

Belt. The original recommended replacement interval was 80k, which got dropped to

60k briefly, before finally being dropped to 40k.

If there is any doubt as to weather it's been done, get it changed, along with the guide rollers and waterpump.

Reply to
moray

---------

Thanks Chris. I believe that he's looking at a 'C' - so the seller was obviously telling the truth, and I've been too harsh in doubting him.

As an aside, do you know how long the chain is good for on average?

Cheers.

Reply to
Sam

AFAIK, they are not a service item, so it would be reasonable to assume a minimum life of 100K.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

1.8 has always been belt. They didn't change the engine for the C. It's only the 2.2 that's chain.
Reply to
moray

Oops, yep!

It's amazing that they made most of an awful car OKish, but missed out on this.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan