You guys think Toyota parts are expensive...

DON'T buy a MAzda!!!

$23 for an aftermarket (China) Fuel Filter $35 for an aftermarket Distr. Cap $8 for a real (Mitsubishi) Rotor

I didn't do the cap and rotor, I just dressed them with a points file, very lightly to remove carbon.

By comparison, a REAL OEM cap for the Supra was $16 and the rotor $4 from Champion Toyota in TX.

A REAL OEM dist. cap for the Mazda would be $54 from an on-line Mazda dealer.

Better look into parts before buying your next car!

Reply to
Hachiroku

This reminds me of the time I had to replace a parking light assembly for a '90 Mercury Cougar, and within the same year, the same assembly on an '86 Camry. The Mercury piece was a large hunk of plastic, with both clear and yellow lenses, as I recall. The Camry piece was about the same, but came with a wiring harness and bulb(s?). The Mercury assembly was about $85 The Camry piece was about $43...and came from Japan. Go figure.

Reply to
mack

Not to mention all three of those parts are still original and have never been replaced on my close to 20 year old Supra.

The cap and rotor look like lifetime parts to me. After the once over with a pencil erasor there not even close to worn looking. Amazing...

Maybe they have the same plating (carbon tipped looking?) also?

My truck wore out 3 AutoZone caps before I found the saved original one and put it back on.

Reply to
Danny G.

pencil erasor

Just curious? What does this have to do with today's Mazdas? This obviously is an old car and the OP didn't go to the dealer for parts. For all we know, the dealer parts could have been cheaper. And Mazda is pretty much run by Ford. I would not let this enter my decision to buy a Mazda whatsoever.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Hachiroku"...

Reminds me of when we had a Renault LeCar. That was a really fun car to have and to drive around, but it was constantly breaking and every part cost a fortune. It seemed like every part was over $200. $250 for a rebuilt starter is one part that I specifically remember. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Those things were junk.

These were fun!

Hachiroku

Hmmmmmm:

Cap, 626, mx-6, manual trans, w/o turbo 88-90 $40.70 $36.63

HOLY CRAP!!!! :

Rotor, 626, mx-6, w/o turbo 88-90 $16.90 $15.21

Fuel filter, 626, mx-6, w/o turbo 88-89 $33.25 $29.92

Not bad...only $7 more for OEM...

Air filter, 626, mx-6, gas 88-89 $20.50 $18.45

I paid $5 for an STP, on sale

However:

Axle assy, 626 and mx-6, manual trans, right, w/o turbo 88-90 $465.95 $419.36

I paid $64 each at AutoZone.

Hmmm....I can get an OEM Rotor for the same as aftermarket? Last time I checked it was listed as $54...

There IS no dealer in my area. The last Mazda dealer folded about 9 years ago, and I have to go about 30-40 miles for the nearest Mazda dealer, and there aren't any breaks from them...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I rebuilt a 1976 Renault 5 that had run into a pole or tree, and the front end was stove in. Front bumper, hood and grille were pushed in, and there was some damage to the fan and radiator and a few other things. It was nearly new and I got it for $1000. It took a while but it was fun taking things apart and putting them back together. Drove it for a couple of years and had no trouble with it whatsoever. One fascinating thing about the car was that it had an uneven wheelbase, a bit shorter on one side than the other, because of the torque bars in the suspension had to be placed longitudinallu next to each other, and made it mandatory that one wheelbase was a little shorter. The car rode like a baby carriage, and when you went over railroad tracks that would rattle your teeth in another car, the Renault slipped over them without a bump at all, as if the tracks were painted on the highway. Like all things French, however, certain parts (those made of French plastic) soon broke and needed gluing or replacement....things like the tiny dome light. And they were tinny....oh my how tinny they were! But NO mechanical difficulties while I owned it.

Reply to
mack

A guy I used to work with came from AMC, and he explained that when LeCar sales slowed down, they had to drive them for company cars. He said he had about 20 of them for company cars, and every single one left him stranded at least once.

Reply to
Ray O

Ford's ownership of Mazda may not necessarily mean lower parts prices:

Transmission pan gasket

Toyota: $ 9 Ford: $20

2-connector repair socket for temperature sensor:

Nissan: $ 8 Ford: $30

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Talking cheap lights, the most unbelievable piece of crap I ever owned was a VW Golf with light package. The fixtures that held the optional lights for the hatch and glovebox were as thin as tin foil and, swear to God, the bulbs fell out on the way home from the dealership with the brand new car.

Art

I bought a brand new 1974 Toyota Corolla 1200. In about two years the driver's seat was wobbly...wonder how it got that way? (Hey, Deb, any idea how come the driver's seat is so loose? ;)

Cost to replace? $700. Price of the car? $2525!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

that's why i bought an elise! toyota powertrain!

Reply to
zammy

Votten den Himmel is an "elise"?

Reply to
sharx35

Must be nice...

Guy in town has an Exige. He also has an Esprit he let me drive once.

Did you know I have the same taillights on my Corolla GTS that are on '90's Esprits? I should auction them on eBay! "Genuine '95 Lotus Esprit Taillights, opening bid $250" ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Toyota's first All-Aluminum Engines

The 2ZZ-GE and the distantly related, lower-powered 1ZZ-GE are used in the Celica, Corolla, Matrix and other cars throughout the Toyota lineup worldwide. Somewhat surprisingly, they are the company's first all-aluminum engines. Being in wide use throughout the Toyota world means these engines have broad parts and service support, thus forming a good basis for the new, worldwide Lotus Elise model.

While comparisons of the 1ZZ-GE and 2ZZ-GE are natural since the more mundane 1ZZ-GE was a benchmark for the later 2ZZ-GE, we will focus solely on the higher performing engine. Different bore and stroke measurements and valvetrains mean the two engines end up with different blocks, heads, pistons, valves, cams, rods, cranks, and so on. They are truly different engines with little in common other than a similar displacement and a few general dimensions. The 2ZZ-GE in the Elise

Elise is coming to America with Toyota's Yamaha-designed 2ZZ-GE in 2004. This is the most recent in a series of Toyota performance engines created by Yamaha. As with the earlier Yamaha-designed Toyota 4A-GE which is the basis of Formula Atlantic racing engines, the 'G' designation of the

2ZZ-GE indicates a 50 degree included valve angle, which is a geometry selected for better breathing and higher performance than the flatter combustion chamber designs which promote lower emissions at the expense of power.

Displacement (cc) 1795 Bore x Stroke (mm) 82 x 85 Compression 11.5 Valve Train DOHC 4 Chain Driven VVTL-i Aspiration natural Cylinder Block Aluminum w/MMC liner Bore Pitch (mm) 87.5 Bore wall (mm) 5.5 Valve Dia. (mm) Int 34 Exh 29 Max Power 135kw/7600rpm Max Torque 180Nm/6800rpm Size (LxWxH) (mm) 652 x 608 x 659 Dry weight 115kg

The 2ZZ-GE is Toyota's first all-aluminum engine, meaning it uses aluminum for both its block and head. This material and a high degree of engineering for weight reduction makes the 2ZZ-GE one of the highest performing engines available in its displacement class when power-to-weight ratio of the engine itself is considered. This light and powerful engine is therefore ideally suited to the light Elise sportster.

Notice:

As with the earlier Yamaha-designed Toyota 4A-GE which is the basis of Formula Atlantic racing engines

That's what I have in my 'hachiroku', although the Formula Atlantic is tuned for 240HP!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

i'm sorry, it is a Lotus Elise, a small sports car from england. sam

Reply to
zammy

Dude, saying the Elise is a "Small sports car from England" is like saying a Gulfstream is a "Small aircraft from America"!!!

We're talking Lotus here, the leaders in monocoque, carbon fiber, and most certainly suspensions! You are NOT going to EVER get a better suspension than a Lotus, anywhere! And certainly not on any car you can register legally!

But, if you have one, you already know that!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Check out the floor pan and suspension in a Toyota 2000 GT ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Believe me, I'd love to.

But, the car was designed by Yamaha!!!