02 gas tank

I have a 2002 Camry, LE with 48.5 miles on it.

I can't get gas to flow freely into my tank from the gas pumps. I think I know the problem:

the valve which is located just inside filler tube has fallen into the filler pipe thus causing a backup thwarting the gas pumps.

My question is:

Is this an emission control apparatus which would cover the cost to me?

Or can I simply push the valve back into the tank and be done with it.

or should this be a costly fix?

tks all

Reply to
billw

That's possible, Bill, but a more probable culprit would be a faulty onboard refueling vapor recovery valve (or ORVR valve). This little guy directs the fuel vapor in an empty tank into the charcoal canister as the vapor is replaced by liquid fuel from the pump during refill. Sometimes when the valve fails it will stick closed, preventing pressure relief when new fuel is added to the tank. The resulting pressure increase is registered in the pump handle, which stubbornly shuts off, thinking the tank is full. Ive seen it a bunch of times over the years on various models. It is covered by Toyotas 3/36k warranty.

Qslim

Think you are right on. I took it the dealer this AM, he said the valve I was referring doesn't exist anymore so your solution looks it to me, good god, how much is this gonna cost? I have 48.5K miles on it. Never heard of this before in my life, this is why I buy Camry's so these things don't happen.

tks again

bill

Reply to
billw