07 Toyota manuals say 1.1qt oil burn/600 miles normal?

Some owners of 2007 Camrys posted that their manuals say 1.1 qt of oil burn per 600 miles can be considered normal. Is it the case?

If so I would think it's excessive. It used to be that 1 qt per 3000 miles was the "acceptable" rule. Many of the newer Toyota/Lexus 3.5L V6 engines have excessive piston-bore clearances they piston-slap when cold, so I wouldn't be surprised of higher oil burn rates in some of these (I4/V6) engines, but 1.1qt/600 miles???

I guess they don't build them like they used to.

"My dealer could not tell me for sure the brand of oil to use--and,since it could use up to 1.1 qt/600 miles, thought I ought to have anextra quart along--so is the oil that comes from the factory the sameas the regular 5W 30 that the dealer would use to do an oil change? "

Reply to
johngdole

That's what I thought too. But people (such as one with 27K miles on a

2.4L) are having problems all of a sudden, when prior to that the engine used no oil. So I Goggled a bit and found this 1.1qt/600 miles!!

Ouch.

Reply to
johngdole

I usually take my car to a oil change place where I can watch what they are doing. The smaller chains with independent franchise owners are much better than the ones owned by the oil companies.

The fact that I specify Mobil 1 also helps me know exactly what they are doing, since I have only found one place that ever claimed to have it in a large barrel. All the others only have Mobil 1 in 1 qt bottles. I always get nervous when oil is coming out of one of those barrels or tanks (usually overhead), since even though it has a label on it, I don't really know for sure what is in it.

Reply to
Mark A