Re: Motorcraft oil filters

This is another reason I personally don't want a Toyota filter. I

> wonder what kind of crap it's made of: >

Actually I prefer the Toyota Filter shown in the picture. These are the type of filters that are made in Japan and come as OE on the engine. Unless you make a special effort, you won't get this filter from a Toyota dealer. Instead you will get a more conventional looking made in Thailand filter.

see http://home.earthl> Purolator or PurOne?

Reply to
C. E. White

Wow that's amazing. Porous ceramic filter?

What's the '96-'01 Camry equivalent part? 90915-YZZF2 sounds familiar for the Camry, but that's with the cheaper media, right?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

It looks more like a spongy type stuff that resembles the "toilet paper" type of media used.

No joke, there actually was (or is) the TP filter for diesel engines!! Look:

However, I prefer Purolator PureOne, Bosch Filtech, or Motorcraft for most engines.

Reply to
johngdole

Now I wonder if that's a uniform sponge media that's only meant to catch break-in particles in new engines. Do you have any filtration beta ratio specification for that filter?

Reply to
johngdole

I only wish I did. The material is not soft like a sponge (despite the appearance).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Does it get soft when impregnated with oil?

Reply to
Mark A

Nope. I have examines both new and used samples. Hard either way.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well that's fine. Different filters for different folks. I personally don't know any advanced filter media design that uses the Toyota spongy-looking material.

There are equivalents of the Hengst nanofiber and meltblown surfacing techniques by other manufacturers. And PureOne for instance, specifies ISO 4548-12 test result of 99.9% efficiency, which they claim is the "top-ranked oil filter on the shelf". Mobil-1 uses a different standard, SAE J1858 with 99.2% efficiency. Even Denso's site shows the pleated type, not the spongy-looking type. Unfortunately, they didn't give any test details:

johngdole