17" wide rear view mirror ?

Just bumped into a site that sells a 17" panoramic rear view mirror that is attached onto an existing mirror in the vehicle .

looks like it covers a very wide angle , with minimal distortion, and also reduce glare...

did anybody had experience with this kind of mirrors ? The product description is in this link

Thanks Shoreshim

Reply to
shorashim

I had one years ago. It did increase the field of vision. No harm in trying it out.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

I have not used it but there are rare times that the rear view mirror gets in the way of my front view. I cannot imagine making it larger. Plus with the convex mirror, objects will be closer than they appear.

I guess it is worth a try for some people. I think having all three mirrors setup properly is best though (atleast for me).

Scot

Reply to
Scot

I prefer to put a small stickon mirror on the drivers side mirror. I have them on all my cars. There are more of a rectangular shape not the round ones and give a great view of the drivers blind spot without turning around to check it.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I was taught to drive by turning the head to check the blind spot before changing lanes and always did so. (Mercedes 380 SEL checked every time) Started driving a Toyota pick up truck with a camper shell and it became mandatory to use convex stick on mirrors on the outside mirrors to clear the blind spot or I'd be driving into other cars. But, somehow, on the Camry, with the mirrors adjusted properly, I'm not sure why or how, but there never seems to be a blind spot, and after a couple years have found it not necessary to check over the shoulder. I still do sometimes, just because I can't believe I'm really seeing it all in the side mirrors, but it must be their placement or adjustment, they just work really, really well.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

I think the side mirrors were just too big on the 97 camrys, they would look better smaller.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Function is far more important than style when it comes to any vehicle mirrors.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster

Our local paper had an article on mirrors recently.

The author suggested you adjust the drivers side mirror by putting your head as far left as possible then adjusting the mirror until you could just see the edge of the car. Then for the passenger side mirror - you lean to the right and adjust that mirror until you just see the edge of the car.

The rear view mirror then gives you a view on what is behind you while the side mirrors show you what is to your side (instead of part of your side and part of your rear).

Apparently this eliminates blind spots and reduces glare from headlights. I'm trying it now - seems different not seeing the side of the car as you drive.

The author went on to suggest you try the 'usual' mirror method with a person walking behind the car & you noting when you could & could not see them - then re-try with his suggested method.

Excellent advice. All it takes is one blind spot booboo for a tragedy.

Reply to
The #1 Sharxster