1988 Camry Ignition Problem

I bought an 88 Camry Wagon five days ago and this problem has happened three or four times out of may two dozen times I've started it. When I try to start the car nothing happens, I get the warning lights (including "check battery") but nothing else. I immediatly thought that the battery was dead, but nope, the battery was fine. So a few minutes later I tried starting it again and it started right away, no problems. Each time this happens I only have to wait a minute or two and it starts great.

This is more of an annoyance than a major problem, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem. My mom said her old Corolla had the same problem and they tried several mechanics but no one could fix it.

-Sean

Reply to
Sean Grant

Get it checked out before it Wont start

Reply to
mark Ransley

If it was me and I didnt pay cash Id STOP PAYMENT NOW and give the car back...... You Bought a problem

Reply to
mark Ransley

I dont mean to be rude , But people sell cars for only several reasons, one of which is mechanical problems, that can be Pawned Off to a unsuspecting person

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sean,,,,, is this person your friend ? the car is 15 yrs old..........Its a tough call . 15 years is alot , cars rot ,,,, especialy in salt air , give it a few days, relax ,,,,,but STOP PAYMENMT IF you can .... call your bank ....and return car if you can ... and dont fight its bad for everyone

Reply to
mark Ransley

The starter circuit has several components in it which can be giving this intermittancy. One common one is the starter motor brushes. Its not commonlyknown that the solenoid coil current path flows through the starter motor field and armature to ground (motor itself is series-wound or field and armature are in series. This give infinite torque proportional to current). If the brushes have worn to minimum length, the brushes which are replaceable start to not make good initial contact. Try tapping starter with a spanner or similar (this jolts the brushes to make contact) and see if the thing works.

Other causes maybe: battery terminals dirty, faulty starter solenoid, intermittant key switch, intermittant fuse in starting solenoid cct, dirty contacts on the starting relay etc etc.

To properly diagnose you need a w/shop manual and some ability to trace wiring etc and use a multimeter or voltmeter.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Search for "starter teeth" under Google Groups - Camry. Not sure if that's your problem, but could be relelvant.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus