1989 camry starting/brake problems

I recently had a 1989 Camry (4-cyl standard) given to me and I have been having an issue with it starting.

On a rainy day, it will turn but not even try to start. It acts almost like it's flooded and I can smell fuel (I am not pressing the accelerator at all when starting).

Judging by past posts in this group, it looks like I just need a new ignition coil. The coil that's on it now I'm sure has never been replaced in its 204000 miles.

I also have VERY rusted brakes. I popped the wheels off the other day to see what I needed to do and the scaling/rust on both the rotors and the pads is horrendous (discs on front, drums on rear). one of the front rotors is also somewhat warped.

What kind of repairs am I looking at here and can I do them myself?

Thanks for any help! Jason M.

Reply to
Jason Maxey

Not sure about the coil, but I would replace the distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires. While you are at it, you might as well invest the extra 6 dollars for new spark plugs.

like

all

in

see