1991 toyota camry ignition coil problem

i replaced the engine on my yota a year ago with one from japan direct with

30k miles, replaced the ignition coil, cap, rotor, wires , plugs. since then ive gone through four ign coils. the last two in as many hours. the coil is overheating and showing discoloring on the edges of the coil jelly, i need this fixed quick. i am about to check all the wiring that connects to it to find any shorts. HELP PLEASE
Reply to
motomanstl

Are you buying genuine Toy coils, I went to replace mine at Autozone? and the guy said the failure rate was 1%. so I declined their coil and just cleaned the oil off mine. Failure rate should be zero for new products sold you would think. Im no pro but if it works I would think you wired it right, There are specific Ohm readings to test a bad coil and wiring should be straight forward

Reply to
m Ransley

If the voltage can't find it's way to ground through the spark plugs, either due to wires, cap or plugs then it will try to ground through the coil shell and cause it to overheat and burn out. I would suggest you check those items as well as if the plugs are the correct ones. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Make sure the engine is actually grounded to the chassis, (something that may have been missed/left off during the swap.) Most cars have a grounding strap between chassis and engine. Possible the ground path is through the coil if the strap is missing.

Check the wiring, make sure you have the right coil. Sounds like you may be cooking the secondary HV wiring?

Buy a ohm meter make sure ground are actually grounded where they are supposed to be, that there are no shorts.

Be methodical and try to keep the panic under control....wish I could in similar situations ;-)

Reply to
RC

Try the module keeping coil on too long will work but will burn out coils very quickly. Joe

Reply to
Joe