1993 ABS speed sensor removal

I have a 1993 Camry with ABS brakes. I am getting the ABS light on the dash. Reading the code it tells me I have a problem with the front left speed sensor. I wanted to remove the sensor to inspect it and the service manual said to remove the 10mm bolt holding it in place and the sensor should come out. When I removed the bolt the plunger part of the sensor that goes in the hole would not come out and when I pulled on the outer stem it split in two parts leaving the plunger part in the hole. Has anyone ever removed a wheel speed sensor or do you have to buy a new hub in order to get a new sensor. I would appreciate any advice. Alex

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

No big deal, that actually happens quite often, What you have to do is tap out the remaining sensor from the insied of the spindle, like so:

-remove the 30mm axle nut on that side

-remove the 2 17mm nuts and 1 17mm bolt that connect the lower control arm to the spindle/hub, pop the spindle studs out of the control arm (stick a prybar inbetween the two and pull down)

-pull the spindle away from the car and push the axle out of the splined hub.

-from the inside of the hub you can see the head of the speed sensor. Bang it out with something. Voila!

Reply to
qslim