wheel speed sensor removal

tried to remove the front passenger wheel peed sensor and broke it. Is ther e a proper way to remove it? its plastic and putting a wrench on it just br eaks it. I have a donor car that i can get a sensor from but if i break it, then there is not much sense. Anyone know if the speed sensors are passive or active?

Reply to
etrainman29

ere a proper way to remove it? its plastic and putting a wrench on it just breaks it. I have a donor car that i can get a sensor from but if i break i t, then there is not much sense. Anyone know if the speed sensors are passi ve or active?

What year and model car do you have? Did you break the bolt, the sensor it self, or both?

The speed sensor is always functioning, if that's what you mean.

Reply to
hyundaitech

What year and model car do you have? Did you break the bolt, the sensor itself, or both?

The speed sensor is always functioning, if that's what you mean.

I tried to remove the rear driver's sensor on a 2005 XG350 and got as far a breaking off the bolt after soaking it overnight with penetrating oil and gently tapping on it with a 6-point box wrench and hammer, alternately loosening & tightening it trying to break the rust. It seemed to work until I realized the rusted metal below the bolt head was flexing before it broke.

I haven't removed the sensor yet.

Oddly, the sensor occasionally starts responding after random bumps and the ABS light goes off for a while, but you can hear the ABS pump operating when it doesn't have to because of a faulty signal from the sensor, and then the ABS light goes back on (always along with the TCS light). I checked the connector behind the back seat end and it seemed to be ok.

I've read that the sensor is mostly plastic with a thin metal shell that rusts to the tight-fitting hole in the hub. Most people just drill out the guts and then remove the shell. Is there a better method that doesn't involve removing the hub?

Reply to
Bob Bailin