1997 Camry V6 automatic transmission defect after 90,000 miles?

I own four years now this 1997 Camry V6, very smooth running car. Today after 20 miles driving, when doing 25 mph, suddenly there was no traction anymore (no strange noises or jerking or warning light). After parking I did select Reverse, P, Drive etc. , still no traction. Then I restarted the engine, selected Reverse and there was at once very little traction over 1500 rpm; then moved the lever to Drive and again to Reverse and both cases no traction anymore... Automatic transmission oil level and color were OK and no burning smell. The car was towed to the local Toyota dealer, who told me later today they concluded severe mechanical damage to the transmission, only solution in their opinion is to exchange that transmission ($$$$).

Questions:

- What parts can be damaged?

- Is exchange of that transmission indeed the (only) solution or?

- If so, how many hours of labour can they charge me in that case?

In my opinion this failure seems very exceptional to happen.

Thanks and regards from the Netherlands.

Reply to
m.hinlopen

When you checked the fluid, was the engine running or stopped? It is supposed to be running. In any case, the oil pump in the transmission can grenade. The occurance is very rare in Toyota but, it does happen. Such a failure would result in the complete loss of "traction" and much metal shavings in the tranmission oil pan. If a large amount of coarse metal shavings are found in the oil pan, the tranmission WILL have to be removed and disassembled.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to