2000 Camry six with P0446 code

It may help others to know that I tracked down the source of the problem to the Vacuum Switching Valve for the Pressure Sensor mounted on the canister. It was stuck open. I took it apart and found the little piston had rust on it. (had to force it out with compressed air). I sanded the rust, put it back together and it works fine. This is located just behind the gas tank in a awful location to access (not one of Toyota's better ideas). It has to be a vulnerable part, and a likely suspect when the P0446 code appears. The good news is that they can be taken apart and cleaned saving $.

My Camry now has 163,000 miles on the clock, and this is the first problem I've had. What a car!

Fred

Reply to
Fred Buchholz

"Fred Buchholz" wrote in news:fg0mih$2esd$ snipped-for-privacy@pyrite.mv.net:

It may help others to know that I tracked down the source of the problem to the Vacuum Switching Valve for the Pressure Sensor mounted on the canister. It was stuck open. I took it apart and found the little piston had rust on it. (had to force it out with compressed air). I sanded the rust, put it back together and it works fine. This is located just behind the gas tank in a awful location to access (not one of Toyota's better ideas). It has to be a vulnerable part, and a likely suspect when the P0446 code appears. The good news is that they can be taken apart and cleaned saving $. My Camry now has 163,000 miles on the clock, and this is the first problem I've had. What a car! Fred

Thanks for posting your fix. Wish more people did. Had this problem myself several years ago & luckily was still under warranty but wouldn't be surprised to see it surface again. Once again, thanks. dc

Reply to
doncee