2000 Camry v6 check engine error code P0402

Had it for months but car runs find. Went to a mechanic and he said it was the gas cap that wasn't screwed on tight and charged the wife $150 but the check engine light came back a few weeks afterward. I finally purchase a OBD2 reader and found the P0402 message. How do I fix this myself? Is it the same problem components as P0401?

Reply to
Frank

Both codes point to the EGR (exhaust gas recirculating) system. You will have to determine what component(s) are bad.

Reply to
user

P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Excessive Flow Detected is the opposite problem from P0401, which is Exhaust Gas Recirculation Insufficient Flow Detected but they both relate to the EGR valve.

You can try removing the EGR valve and tube and see if there is a lot of carbon buildup inside that is preventing the valve from closing. You may be able to dig out some of the carbon and get it working again.

Another possibility is that the vacuum control system for the EGR valve is not working properly, and yet another possibility is that the there is a problem with the EGR valve position sensor. If cleaning out the valve doesn't work, you can access the factory manuals at techinfo.toyota.com for $10/day to do the diagnosis.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

This seems to be a common code! We see it all the time.

I removed and replaced the vacuum hoses on my '95 Tercel and the code went away...after 2 years!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I kind of think that the EGR is jammed open, but the OP didn't complain about rough idling, which might accompany an EGR that is not closing.

Reply to
Ray O