2003 Camry 4 cyl

what is the recommended mileage for replacing the timing belt? TIA, F

Reply to
fireant

What is that old saying, "teach someone to fish and they get a hook caught in their finger...."

Anyway, I have an '03 and I know the answer, but since you probably have plenty of other questions, best bet is to go to

and click on the owners link....you'll find what you need.

Reply to
timbirr

Hmmm, I've seen some who say 120K too. Which is it. Oh, wait, maybe you want to see what Toyota sez....

Reply to
timbirr

This engine does not have a timing belt, it has a chain.

Reply to
Up North

some say 50 to 60k but some go as long as 80 or 90k.

Reply to
BigJim

Reply to
johngdole

I have an `02 4cylinder and it has a timing chain.I beleive that `02 was the first year to use a timing chain instead of a belt.

Reply to
mred

Yeah, the 2.4L 4-cyl only. The V6 and V8 are still on belts unfortunately. Looks like it'll be a few years before those move to chains, after years of bashing chains of course. ;) ;)

Reply to
johngdole

the 3.5L V-6 is chain, as are the new V-8's, if I've been informed correctly.

Reply to
Bob H

Right, the catalogs where I do quick checks usually takes a couple of years to catch up.

The 4.7L 2UZFE V8 is still belt (T298), but the 5.7L V8 3URFE are 2 chains. 3.3L V6 is belt; 3.5L uses a chain. It's all in the direction from belt to chain. Funny before jumping on the wagon some manufacturers bash chains.

Reply to
johngdole

I think that Toyota is "transitioning" from making cars that will go

300k with regular, easy maintainance, to more American-like cars that will go to 120k or so miles with reasonable reliability, then get expensive to keep running. So then it's off to buy a new one!
Reply to
mjc1

How correct you are. Compared to older Camrys, today's Toyotas are like cheap tin cans unfortunately. It was much better when they were copying 1960s Italian and VW designs and using Borg Warner transmission blueprints. The new U-series transmissions for instance are awful compared to the A-series. But those were the good 'ol days.

Reply to
johngdole

You guys ruined all the fun telling that it was a chain, not a timing belt.

When I saw the 2002 generation came out with a chain, I waited until the '03 year (to avoid first generation boo-boos) and then worked for four months to chisel out an '03 LE Camry deal with zero percent interest for five years at $17,200.

Last payment will be in August. Has been an awesome Camry, except it is a five-speed, which I demanded and the clutch is a bit tempermental (dear daughter refuses to drive it, but will drive the '87 Corolla five-speed manual).

Reply to
timbirr

What a deal!!

Yeah, also stay away from the stinking U660 transmission for the V6 (Camry, Lexus ES). Looks like Toyota is still learning how to build a Lepelletier design. Maybe they should have bought the Hydramatic 6T (also Lepelletier) from GM. Now that's a compact 6 speed auto. I'm impressed with GM's turnaround if it doesn't get sidetracked.

Reply to
johngdole