2003 Camry SE Fuel Economy

How is your fuel economy. I've figured it out for the last 3 fill-ups, and I am getting something horrible, which ranges from 15 - 18 mpg???

I purchased the car used with 80000 km, and it looks like all the service was performed. Could there be any problem that would cause such terrible fuel economy? The tires are brand new and are properly inflated.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Analog Guy

Is it a 4 cil. Something is wrong, It could be alot of things take it to a good mechanic

Reply to
m Ransley

did he or you change the rims? if you did, don't count of getting a MPG calculation. changing to a larger rim/tires will give you a lower MPG and vice versa

Reply to
skewe

If you're driving it hard in the city with short trips, that would be normal.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
Becky Krill

OD will not affect milage it is Overdrive

Reply to
m Ransley

The purpose of overdrive is to increase mileage. If you drive on expressways or improved streets where the speed limit is above 40 mph then the OD will kick in and improve mileage. If all your driving is below 40 mph then as you say OD won't help. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Ransley. Running the engine faster than really required DOES increase fuel consumption. A taller gear at speed requires more throttle to maintain speed which in turn reduces pumping losses (manifold vacuum). For this very reason, fitting a top gear (an overdriven ratio) that the engine cannot pull to as high a top speed as the next LOWER gear results in improved fuel mileage (up to a point). I should also point out that with electronic controls of the engine and transmission, engine parameters are usually altered to favor even better MPG when the transmission shifts to OD and the cruise control is engaged.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

Yes phil meant to say will not affect milage Negatilvely. I always use it and know it improves milage and reduces engine wear Beckys statement was indicating overdrive will reduce milage.

Reply to
m Ransley

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." -- Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman (attributed)

--

~Philip.

Reply to
Philip

Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?' said the March Hare. 'Exactly so,' said Alice.

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on.

'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least-at least I mean what I say-that's the same thing, you know.'

'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter. 'You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'

'You might just as well say,' added the March Hare, 'that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!'

'You might just as well say,' added the Dormouse, who seemed to be talking in his sleep, 'that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

'It is the same thing with you,' said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped, and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn't much.

A modicum in fact.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff