2007 Camry Transmission Behavior

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1163830707.754649.87460 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Ditto on everything above except I'm going to take my car back again... not for the transmission (although I'm going to mention that it's still 'slipping'), but because it keeps dropping out of recirculate air mode. Another very annoying intermittant problem. I hope they don't pull the old 'it didn't happen to us' excuse they did on my last transmission service.

Reply to
G.Willakers

Is the recirculate mode a problem? this only occurs when the system is on heater and not in cooling. I also happens in my 07 but I think this is normal. When the heater is acticvated the air inside becomes so dry the recirculate will turn off automatically and allow fresh air to enter so humidity will be maintained.

going to take my car back again...

Reply to
EdV

"EdV" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Are you saying that this is normal?

Why would anyone want their car to take control from them. I drive in rush hour traffic (southern california... ugh) and turn on recirc so that I don't have to breath exhaust fumes. When I first bought the car it didn't happen. Now I breath exhaust fumes intermittantly.

If this is normal behavior I will be forced to sell this p.o.s.

Reply to
G.Willakers

Maybe it is, I bought the car in spring and only now that I started using the heater. I really didn't pay attention to it but now that you mention it, i will check if it turns on and off automaticaly. Older Toyotas have this mechanical lever for recirculate and now they have this button, so I think its a new concept.

I am also from Southern California. I also want to hear what other 07 users experience with colder weather.

Reply to
EdV

A #1 Toy Defect, bad 07 trans.

Reply to
m Ransley

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in news:24988-457A8865-764@storefull-

3137.bay.webtv.net:

Just a follow up on my tranny / recirc situation.

I took my 07 camry v6/3.5 6sp back to the dealer the day before yesterday. They said that I was the 3rd Camry that was coming out of recirc mode and that Toyota hasn't had a fix for it yet. They also said, again, that they didn't see the problem with my tranny. I asked to take the mechanic on a test drive with me and I proved to them the tranny was slipping (oops downshifting to neutral). I have found that if you use 'selective shifting' and limit it to 3rd gear, then, while in 3rd gear, let the engine rev up to ~2.5-3000rpm for a second or two, then bump it up to fourth gear it will not shift correctly and the tach will go to 4.5-5000rpm before the next gear finally engages. When he left my car the mechanic told me to bring it back on Tuesday the 2nd and that Toytoa would want to replace the tranny's valve body. I explained to him (I guess he didn't read the cars history), that I already had the valve body replaced. At that point he said that they would probably replace the transmisison. Now I just hope that the new tranny doesn't have the same problem. Maybe by then they will have a fix for my recirc problems as well and life will be good again.

Sorry for the long posting. I hope it helps some other poor unfortunate soul.

Reply to
G.Willakers

The 2007 Owner's Manual is clear, I dont know why the Toyota Tech's doesn't know the answer. The recirc will automatically turn off and allow fresh air to enter the cabin when the heater is turned on. If you want to disable this auto feature you have to press the recirc button for more than 2 secs. This worked when I tried it and used it a couple of times. However, It felt so dry and find it hard to breath when using it for a longtime.

The transmissi> snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote innews:24988-457A8865-764@storefull-

Reply to
EdV

Reply to
johngdole

Well I'll be damned. On page 248 it definetly mentions that you have to hold the recirc button in for 2 seconds! I think a big RTFM is in order here. :/

The transmission is another issue. It only misbehaves between 3rd and

4th gears, not between 4th and 5th or 5th and 6th. The techs have been all over this car checking temps along with everything else. Toyota has had them replace the valve body before... I can't believe that Toyota would overlook this. I'm scared to mention it to them 'cause they will probably grab this excuse very quickly!

I know other Camry owners where I live (same temperature conditions) that don't have a problem. Time will tell.

Thanks for the tip!

"EdV" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
G.Willakers

"G.Willakers" wrote in news:Xns98A8D80A8F647rqhe48dy@216.168.3.50:

I picked up my car today (the 10th of Jan). My new tranny is shifting flawlessly. The mechanic, who is a very nice guy, came out to talk to me and told me that usually Toyota will send out a reconditioned tranny. They sent me a brand new one. He also said that Toyota no longer replaced the valve body as a first attempt because it only fixed one out of ten cars. Now they just send out new trannys. But, it sounds like they have found the problem and changed the design. Time will tell, but I once again love my car! :)

Reply to
G.Willakers

innews:Xns98A8D80A8F647rqhe48dy@216.168.3.50:

Reply to
EdV

"EdV" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Thanks! 350miles and all is well! :)

The second time I took it to them I asked for a new tranny and was flatly refused. The third time the mechanic said that they would just want to replace the valve body assembly. I told him that they already had and he told me that Toyota would then just replace the transmission. I don't think they just did this out of the kindness of their heart, but rather that they are up against the 3 strikes and your out lemon law limits in california. At any rate, they were very nice about it.

I'm afraid that I can't definitively answer that question other than to say the impression he left me with was that they found the problem and redesigned that portion tranny to correct it.

g'luck, and please keep us posted on your progress!

Reply to
G.Willakers