5SFE strength

Every time I research about the 5SFE, they are allways avoided for performance mods: turbo or any HP increase. The reason given is the engine is a stroked version of the 2L Camry before it and "has inherent structural weaknesses" as a result.

This sounds a bit odd to me. Any one know if this is true?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The reason I've always seen given is that the "F" designation in the

5S-FE denotes "fuel efficiency" (designed for economy) and represents a "narrow" valve angle of approximately 22 degrees, where the "G" series engines have a "wide" angle of 45 degrees or more between the intake and exhaust valves. Have never heard any reference to inherent weakness in that cast iron block with five main bearings.
Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Actually, they make turbo kits for that engine. You can buy a turbo kit a Burien Toyota. Check under the parts section and under performance parts. Adds 45 hp to the wheels at around 5-7psi!

hlee

there is a super charger kit for the 5s-fe

MARTIN ROJAS

22 degrees! hard to envisage.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

thks

This link shows quite a few Toyota engine pictures

And I think this link also disproves the theory that 5SFE are weak.

I'll try and find the offending articles which say the engine is not up to mega-mods

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Perhaps this cutaway view from a shop manual will help clarify things.

Platil

I haven't really studied the drawing in the factory manual. Sounds reasonable, though. Just means the valve stems are fairly upright, not really canted over to the sides.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

i do NOT understand what this thread is all about..

who the heck cares what the strength of the engine is.

you drive it until it quits and either replace the engine or get a new car..

i, personally, haven't had an engine outlive the car.. everything here rusts out long before the engine quits.

cheers

don

Reply to
Don Paquin

To you and most who don't want to tinker with engine design ( nothing wrong with that either) and try and extract more power, you are right, but there are a lot of 5SFE motors lying aroundnow, and I was checking out whether a turbo project would work on one of these engines.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

The definition was a little poor, but I can just make out the sharper angle. The pistons are light-weight heavily cut-aways. Thanx,....Jason

Reply to
Jason James