Re: Time for Tecwhiz and Brad to do some homework !

Good entertainment.

Devils, I am interested in the Race results you mentioned previous. I didn't even realize that the 944 did so well against V8s! I tried for a spell to find a site with complete listings of IMSA and the sort race results. Do you know of such a site? TIA

-Rhad Davis '89 944 2.7l n/a

Devils944 has been tearing that dude up for weeks now. His posts are a riot. > > > > > > I think its funnier than hell. lol > > > > > > > I think you need some medication.........you seem to have a lot of anger > > > built up here........ > > > JoeC > > > > > > > > > > > "tecwhiz" wrote in message
Reply to
Rhadamanthus

Devils944

Devils,

Thanks for the info. Thats good news about the motor mounts, but probably one of the lesser repair costs. (I just did them at the dealer $220 a whack). The Turbo (from what I've heard) runs more to maintain. The S2 also has very similar horsepower to the older Turbos, so I'm guessing its just more balanced and spread over the rev range? I am certainly leaning towards Coupe, for as much as I would love to have a Porsche Conv, I am sure the top replacements run a hefty sum. I am thinking that N/A is the way to go.. the less parts, the less breaks.. no to mention extra wear and tear on the car with a turbo.

-Rhad

Reply to
Rhadamanthus

Devils,

Thanks a lot for your insight! It is much appreciated. I wish I was is SoCal! I live in Portland, Maine which is beautiful this time of year, but I only get to enjoy my car for about 5 months at a time.

From time to time I see collectors selling 944s with under 20,000mi, you may know the ads I'm talking about.. ("Original owner, stored in climate controlled garage, driven once a month, never seen rain, mint $20,000.00"). That's what I want. If I could buy one brand new I would. Hard to believe that Porsche discountinued the model that saved them in the first place, and until recently held the record for highest production exotic.

By the way, if you are interested in a good book, "944" by Brian Long which came out a couple years ago, is excellent. Hardcover high gloss color pages, and very indepth.

-Rhad

Reply to
Rhadamanthus

Porsche sold very few of any model from 1989 to 1993. The economy was in the toilet.

Reply to
Devils944

But, Devils, why would a "bulletproof" engine that never breaks require such intense maintenance in the first place?

Simon, have faith, factory turbo cars don't require much extra work or money unless you beat the hell out of them, (the same as any non-turbo car would need if you beat the hell out of it). And they're certainly a hell of a lot more fun. Get a turbo 944, add a better exhaust, turn up the boost, and you'll never regret not getting the n/a version. You'll only regret not having better tires for more traction.

Reply to
Brad

You have to be careful with some of those kinds of cars. Low mileage doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Engine seals don't like sitting around not being lubricated. Low mileage is nice, but really low mileage is something to be a little more careful of.

The same concept applies to high-mileage cars. If those cars have just been used for cruising on the highway for the most part, then the high mileage isn't cause for alarm. Engines are made to be run at their proper operating temperature. It's similar to army bases and the like never turning off their computers or electronics -- the power surges on startup and shutdown often cause more wear than just running them 24/7 does.

Reply to
Brad

Yikes, you ARE really that stupid...I thought it was an act. The engines themselves are good, but they had to add a bunch of plumbing to the turbo that requires extra labor when you are performing maintenance that will eventually happen such as a clutch replacement, motor mounts and various other things. The engine bay is tight and therefore makes it harder to work in.

Like I said Brad, you talk>

Reply to
Devils944

If you think removing some intercooler piping is hard or isn't worth it to own a turbo car, then that explains why the level of what you consider "performance" is so low. Tell us again how fast a stock 3.0

944 is....
Reply to
Brad

Brad - What type of Porsche do you drive? It is obvious to me that you have no clue as to what you are talking about here. The 944T has a completely different air intake, exhaust system and the already mentioned intercooling system. At our shop the 944T costs plenty more to work on. The biggest breakdown is in the related parts, not the motors themselves. Heat being the biggest culprit. Judging from your past posts, you are really over your head in here and you seem adept at pissing off people who actually know Porsche A.G. products. I would also be careful picking on the 3.0 litre motors. They are torquey little beasts and in the variocam version have quite a bit of punch. You may not have a drag racer there, but, past 60 miles per hour, good luck catching one.

Brad-I would strongly suggest you study the 944 and its various forms before you continue to make a fool of yourself in this NG. You really come off as a no nothing dip.

Jack

devils944 - You have to ignore this troll, it's hard to debate a topic when he doesn't know about the subject matter.

Reply to
JFKFC_1

Sorry Jack, bit I love kicking this guys ass. He knows nothing about the models he keeps giving out his "advice" on and he actually thinks that adding a second rate product such as a Chevy engine into a 944 would actually be an "upgrade".

maintenance that

Reply to
Devils944

That's strange since Devils944 always told people Porsches, including

928's, don't cost more to fix or maintain than a "normal" car. People would come in here asking about maintenance costs, and he would say it's not a big deal. I'm surprised you are sitting here calling Devils944 a liar.

And you seem to be disagreeing with a phantom. All I said was that owning a turbocharged vehicle that has more potential in it than the n/a version is well worth putting up with the extra maintenance annoyances. Obviously people who think stock n/a cars are fast would disagree with such a statement. The biggest breakdown is in the related parts, not the

The only one I'm interested in pissing off is Devils944 for his past history of lying and being an all-around assclown. If I've pissed off anyone else who didn't deserve it, I apologize. If the people who know Porsche A.G. products would speak up once in awhile when someone comes in asking things such as how to make an n/a 944 (or even a turbo model) faster, then reading Devils944 saying things like, "Don't worry about being faster than that other, lesser car. You drive a PORSCHE," or telling people with dead 928's that instead of even considering a Chevy swap they should just sell the car because they don't deserve to drive a Porsche if they can't afford to drive it with the original engine in it

-- if people would help those guys out more instead of letting Devils944's snobby and useless comments slide, the newsgroup would be a much more helpful place.

I would

I wasn't picking on them. I was picking on Devils944 for saying a stock

944 doesn't need any mods to keep up with or beat today's performance cars. It's over ten years old. There's no shame in admitting it might need a few horsepower mods to keep up with newer cars, especially if they have a few mods of their own.

Any time something besides "Porsches are the best no matter what and are perfect the way they are" is said, it's considered "picking on them" or "bashing" them. Let's consider your last sentense about good luck catching one above 60mph. Why is luck needed? They're not that light, and they're not *that* powerful. Is a '98 Camaro owner supposed to need luck to catch one? How about an '87 Turbo Regal with $50 in mods into it? How about a Lancer Evolution or a WRX STi? Is the 3.0 944 a "torquier beast" than any of those cars? Heck, let's toss a factory-supercharged Toyota Solara (Camry) in that list too for fun.

Get what I'm saying? They're fine cars. They're good cars. They're quick cars. But they aren't barnburners as far as straight-line performance is concerned. (Neither are most stock cars, btw.) And when I "bash" them like that, Devils944 can't help but talk about how well they turn on race tracks and on super-twisty roads that are far less common in America than straight roads are. He completely avoids the straight-line performance aspect, even when a newbie comes in asking the group how to get some more zip out of his 15-year-old 944. If you want to consider that picking on them, then so be it.

Reply to
Brad

damn. my chevy with >345 hp and loads of torques has no cowl shake. once again a bullshit statement that all converts have cowl shake. you are so full of shit . readup on american. technology. just bought a 75 911 coupe. needs a lil work I am willing to do!

Reply to
tecwhiz

Reply to
tecwhiz