87 Camry - Feedback on Firestone FR 380 Tires

Hi Folks:

In an effort to cut costs, I ended up getting FIRESTONE FR 380 tires (size 185/70R14) on my 1987 Toyota Camry.

I checked on the internet and saw crappy reviews (yes, I should've checked first)

Anyone of you out there installed these tires ? If yes, can you pass on your feedback ?

Thx

Reply to
techtrainer

== Check with the tire store and see what they can do if the tires are still nearly new. I like Yokohama TRZ, great tire, great price, and they come with a 30 day trial period. I'm kind of particular about the car, so when I've found a better tire I've upgraded before the old tires were worn out, and America's Tire did give a reasonable allowance - credit for the old tires with around

30,000 miles on them. Four tires installed cost around $200. Seems reasonable to me, since on some exotic cars, BMW and the like, a single tire can be something like $250. Firestone has had two really bad tires, one the 7-2-1 which was recalled after failures, and then the standard equipment on a Ford SUV that experienced blowouts and was recalled. Some argue the manufacturer was at fault for specifying too low a tire pressure in an attempt to improve ride quality but personally, after the 7-2-1, I stopped considering Firestone. Now I also have a '77 Toyota truck, and for that I buy cheap tires. Usually not the very lowest grade but one up from there. As long as the mold marked printing isn't illegible I buy them, but for the Camry, I get the much better tires. So if you like cheap tires, forget about it and just use them up. Reviewers are probably talking about performance characteristics which may not be important to you.
Reply to
Daniel

That's why I'd stay away from anything Bridgestone/Firestone. They're the same company. Firestones were recalled after Ford roll-over accidents. Cheap tires are cheap for a reason. But see if you can "trade in" your Firestones.

Pirelli and Michelins are considered premium tires but really don't cost that much more. The world's fastest production cars (VW Bugatti,

Michelin now has the Primacy MXV4 tires for late model mass production cars. I'll consider, among the things, tires with long tread wear rating for typical driving.

johngdole

Thx folks .. you have raised excellent points .. I paid $215 for 4 tires installed. Guess .. since the car is old (87 with 225K miles) I didn't want to spend too much money. In the future, I will stay away from these kind of tires.

Reply to
riyana.patel