Firestone Factory Tires

I have a 02 CK 1500 ext cab 4x4. Has factory installed Firestone Tires. After 25K miles they just don't seem to have any wet traction, especially taking off from say a light or stop sign. Is this typical? Would I gain improvement from other tires? Sounds like a stupid question I guess, but is it realistic or just my opinion.

Reply to
JR

The '98 Malibu I once bought had Firestone Affinities from the factory. Crappiest tires I have ever had on any vehicle, bar none. Lasted less than

60,000 KM.

Trash them and get decent rubber. You will think you just bought another new vehicle, the difference will be so pronounced.

My Canyon has Generals. The '94 Cavalier I had came with Generals. They lasted for 140,000 KM.

I will NEVER own another Firestone tire.

Reply to
Commentator

Reply to
KENG

My 1999 K1500 has the original Good-Year slippery when wet tires on it. I have 58,000 miles on them and the truck and will probably get another 10,000 miles out of them. But they spin when ever I try to take off in the rain if I'm not careful. I plan on going to Michelin when I need tires. Mostly light ass end and high torque motors, I do have limited slip as well. Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Try this tires, OE tires on GMC Envoy & Buick Rainier.

Rizal Martinez

I don't know if anyone follows up on this newsgroup, but wanted to simply say I replace the OEM Firestone Wilderness AT with Michelin LT 265/75R16 XL LT 4 tires. These are load rated E and can be filled from 60 to 80 PSI. I had them filled at 65 all around and also had a nice computerized 4 wheel alignment at the time of purchase. I had taken a picture of the truck when I first bought it, fortunately and it is quite odd to me. On that picture it seems that the tires have a wide contact patch with the surface and always seemed to "bulge" out at the place where the tires met the surface. These Michelin tires seem to be perfectly round which I know sounds retarded to me to say since they are tires after all and are supposed to be round...doh...but there seems to be a real difference in how these sit on the surface(surface meaning street road driveway etc) . BTW, these are much better handling tires. It is a truck afterall, but in the firestones it seemed that when you turned the wheel, you had a delay in the feel of what was happening and these seem to be providing an almost sports car like feel for the road which again, to me makes no damn since (sp?) as I would not think that tires alone could make this much difference? Still if you are looking for a good light truck tire, I'd recommend these highly as they seem to be darn nice tires. I can't honestly say they are any less noisy than the Firestones since the truck already has pretty darn good road noise insulation being an 02 and pretty much car like. They are the same basic dimensions as the factory tires but they seem to be a tiny bit "wider" than those and so the truck seems to sit a bit higher off the road although that could simply be due to the higher inflation pressures. Will have to wait for a rainy day to see if there is a difference there.

Reply to
JR