Firestone

Just orderd 4 Firestone tyres for my campervan to be fitted tomorrow. I wanted branded tyres and these were the cheapest at £90 each. Next up were Goodyear at £115 each. These are 205/14 8ply van tyres.

Any opinions on Firestone tyres welcome? Certainly prefer them to the next tyres down in price called Maxi at £55 each.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

I use them on my Pug 306 and I've no complaints. Grippy enough, never had any problems in the wet and they seem to last

Reply to
Abo

In message , Graham writes

I've used the Firestone TZ200 quite a lot before and they have been just fine. They are much better than the no-name budget brands and perhaps as good as some premium brands. Firestone is owned by Bridgestone.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I've used them in the past and found them pretty good, especially for the cash.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I used the F700 "Fuel Savers" on my Ka. They survived plenty of abuse, were reasonably quiet, not especially sticky and good value for money.

Reply to
DervMan

i had goodyear cargo tyres on my first camper van (1989 LT 35) tried some of the cheaper tyres and said never again when i had one blow out on me,

6 years of use on my camper and i haddnt worn the goodyears out,

went for goodyear cargo's again on my current motorhome (coachbuilt on an iveco turbodaily 45-12) bit expensive having to buy 7 of them, but i've done a good 35k miles in the 4 years they've been on the van, and they are no where near worn out, (these cose my about 90 quid each, but are 215/75x16's,

8 ply of course as the van's a 4.5 tonner)

at the time i was warned off firestones on heavy vans/campers as they wear out very fast., dunno if that's the same now,

Reply to
Gazz

I fancied Goodyear too, but they were £115 a shot. Although might have got him down by ten quid a tyre. I won't be doing many miles, but like you I had a blow out on my camper and could never drive happily on cheap tyres again. Coincidentally also a LT35 (1987 vintage). Luckily the blowout happened at almost stationary speed at the end of braking while turning right. Hell of a bang. The thought of that happening at 30 or even 55 as I had been doing a few minutes before doesn't bare thinking about.

Reply to
Graham

Gazz, as you owned a LT35 I wonder if you might have any thoughts on my handbrake problem. Its been laid up for about three years and discovered recently that the handbrake button is getting stuck and not returning again. It was ok before being laid up. If I feel under the handbrake handle and push on the spring the button moves out again and the spring does not appear to be under much compression. Everything else works ok and providing I am careful to pull out the button the handbrake locks ok. I intend to oil and grease up everything and if all else fails, replace the handbrake ratchet, although I can't see how this could be causing it, but heard they are renwound to wear out on the LT.

Regards Graham

Reply to
Graham

Firestone are quite a good tyre for the money, I actually use them on my own car and there only fault is they are not the best in the wet. They do last though and if you drive sensibly then they are fine, I'm curious as to which part of the country you bought them from? £90 per tyre is a bit dear.

Reply to
Fred

"Fred" to which part of the country you bought them from? £90 per tyre is a bit

ATS. Deepest rural east Anglia.

Reply to
Graham

"Fred" to which part of the country you bought them from? £90 per tyre is a bit

Note these are commercial van tyres, not car tyres.

Reply to
Graham

Or it just might be that my prefered brand is not made in the size/type I use?

Reply to
Fred

*sigh*

Or perhaps you just don't trust the teflon crap you try to push onto everyone else.

I know which version of the story I prefer to believe.

Reply to
SteveH

I was looking at the price 205/80/14 8ply Firestone CV3000, they cost £46

+vat so you should shop around, try some of the smaller tyre places and I reckon you could save a fair bit?
Reply to
Fred

Would that be Mercedes or Vokswagen?

Do you remember post Right, that's about all I'm going to take of this. Your ISP has already been informed - constant hounding of usenet posters is against the terms and conditions you sign up to. If you wish to continue this 'campaign', I *will* seek legal advice to get an injunction to stop it.

Now, you may want to have a long, hard think about your actions before posting your campaign of hate again.

There's a fine line between banter and what can reasonably termed as 'abuse' - you've crossed it and are about to discover the consequences of it.

-- SteveH 'You're not a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa Romeo'

GY200 - Alfa

75 TSpark Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #

I never wrote that either.

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Fred

You is a better man than I. I can't find anything remotely close to that in these parts.

Reply to
Graham

I own a tyre fitting company but we all buy from the same wholesalers, there will be dealers in your area who buy at that price. What they choose to sell them for is up to them.

Reply to
Fred