89 Camry Power Steering Leak

My 89 Camry V6 LE has a serious PS fluid leak. I had it checked out at the local Firestone shop and was told I need a new PS pump, hoses and rack & pinion, about a $1300 job. A neighborhood shade tree mechanic (who has a pretty good rep) also looked at it and confirmed that the rack and hoses need replacing but I could probably hold off on the pump.

I'm thinking about doing the work myself. I have a Chilton Manual but I would like to know if anyone else has experience with this job and could offer me any advice.

I was also told by a guy at my local parts store that if you add Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) to the PS fluid that it may help stop, or at least slow down, the PS fluid leak because the MEK will expand the seals. Does anyone have any experience with this.

Thanks.

Reply to
Norm Chafetz

It's a pretty simple removal and installation-type deal (i.e. no special procedures or measurments, except an alignment after the new rack is in). The chilton should to a good job of walking you through the repair. The only concern you should have is the proper tools to replace that rack. If it's the original, you can pretty much bet that the tie rods are frozen on pretty well, both on the rack and in the steering knuckle. If you don't have any impact air tools, you'll want an ass-long breaker bar (that is a Toyota special service tool, by the way) to get some of that crap loose. But, that's tough to do without a lift, cuase you can't get a lot of leverage on your back with the car 2' in the air. But hell, give it a shot if you think you can, and if you need help we'll do what we can to help. Worst case, call a hitch and have a garage finish it up for you.

Reply to
qslim

Should be able to get this done for, um... $150 for rack $50 for PS pump $12 for belt $50 for HP hose And about $200 labor.

If you have a DECENT Midas or Meineke, or an indy garage with a good mechanic, buy the parts at CarQuest (prices quoted were CarQuest) or AutoZone and drop the mess off at the garage.

Reply to
hachiroku

He might want to check with the garage first to see if they will do this. Some shops won't install your parts, some will but you pay labor on any warranties that come up and a lot of shops won't install anything from Autozone. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I was also told by a guy at my local parts store that if you add Methyl

Ethyl Ketone (MEK) to the PS fluid that it may help stop, or at least slow down, the PS fluid leak because the MEK will expand the seals.

------ Try changing the old fluid and adding Lucas power steering fix - does not contain solvents and guaranteed to work.

Reply to
Daniel

I tried the Lucas product but it didn't help.

Reply to
Norm Chafetz