90 camry brake problem

After driving my camry (with 4 disc brakes )on Hight-way for 20 miles, I smiled someting burning . I checked the car and found the left front brake disc was smoking. But the right front brake disc was OK.

I wonder whether there is something serious. My question is :

Can I drive it to a car shop or I need to have it towed there ?

Thanks in advance .

cz

Reply to
chenzaif

Sounds like the left front brake is dragging, staying in contact with the disc even though you're not on the brake pedal. Could be air in the brake line or sticky caliper pistons. I suppose another problem is that you could be leaking brake fluid onto the brakes, and when you exit the highway and apply the brakes the fluid "smokes".

Have you noticed the pedal getting softer over time? Have you seen something that looks wet around the left front brake area? Is the master cylinder reservoir low on fluid? If your answer is yes to any of these, I suggest you address fluid loss before driving again.

Mostly likely the brakes are dragging on the disc, but i would check to make sure there's no fluid loss first. If the brakes are dragging, and you do not hear metal grinding [like the brake pad material is all gone], then I don't think there'd be a problem driving to the mechanic.

Reply to
Hopkins

may want to have the mech look for fluid leaks and to take the caliper apart and lube the moving parts, also bleed air out of system. Replace pad as needed. Have both sides looked at while in the shop.

Reply to
jjjsan

thanks very much

Reply to
chenzaif

the mechanics told me that the problem is the axis . The oil leaked from the axis and flew onto the brake. Then the oil simply burnt out on the hot brake pad.

Reply to
chenzaif