90K servicing = $1300 (independent auto shop)

Note: I apologize for the re-post. I accidentally posted it in alt.autos.toyota first.

----------------- Hi Folks,

I need some advice from you guys. Car info: 2000 Toyota Camry 2.2 L 2164 CC L4 5SFE DOHC Mileage: 87000

I went to an independent auto shop to get my 90K servicing and the quote was about $1300.

(I have rounded the price(s) and included only the non-minor costs below)

Here are the things covered in the servicing: LABOR:

1) Complete lube, oil and filter service ($42.00) 2) Check Brakes ($32.00) 3) Drain & Fill auto transmission ($35.00) 4) 4 cylinder tuneup ($225.00) 5) Replace timing belt and water pump - $415 includes bleed cooling system, check fro leaks, verify fan & thermostat operation

Parts: qty

5 Motor Oil, syn. blend (new) 16.00 1 oil filter $12 5 auto trans fluid (new) $27 1 fuel filter $43 4 resistor spark plugs $53 1 air filter, engine $21 1 ignition wire set $45 1 pcv valve $12 1 anti freeze, toyota type $27 timing belt kit, $140 water pumps kit $115

Total (labor + parts): approximately $1300.00

Parts: $500.00 (approx) Labor: $800 (approx)

Without timing belt replacement it costs about 750$ less.

------

The car has been maintained very well and had regular oil changes etc. I am not sure if it's necessary to spend this much money,

Can someone tell me what are the important things items to take care of and what are not necessary to get during this 90K service?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

-- Tian

Reply to
tintincat1977

I think pretty much all of those things are pretty necessary at this point in the car's life, with the possible exception of the inspections, but they're cheap.

Try and shop around the timing belt portion of the work - I've read on this group that you can sometimes get it for $200 on special. If you're hard up for cash right now, you can put off the timing belt until it breaks. That means a tow though.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Hmm.. iso what is a "good" price/quote for the above items excluding the timing belt replacement?

Reply to
tintincat1977

Sorry, I do all that stuff myself; doesn't cost me a thing except parts and time.

Reply to
Nobody Important

Reply to
BigJim

AT 87,000 MILES I FIND SOME OF THE THINGS DONE SUPERFLUOUS.

I have an `02 and spark plugs are not due for replacement until

160,000k (100,000miles)

I paid $7.99(Canadian) for my oil filter when I had the same service done at a dealers here in Ontario

Fuel filter and definitely ignition wire set wouldnt need replacing at that low mileage unless you had hard starting. or an engine miss.

Lube oil and filter ? what is there to lube ?all steering joints are lubricated for life and sealed.

Im not sure about the pcv valve or the water pump kit but it is always wise to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt because the labour is practically the same to access this item.

The antifreeze sounds reasonable if done by a dealer.I supplied my own antifreeze , (name brand silicon free) bought at Walmart(For about $6-7.00 US. )and had the dealer install it.

If I were you I would get a price from a REPUTABLE TOYOTA dealer before spending any money.

What does your owners manual say about the 90,000 mile service? If you wish email me and I will dig up the work order and list what was done on my `02 and what it cost. I havent the time right now . hope this helps mred

Reply to
mred

I dont know if Toyotas are interference engines or not ? if they are ? you will bend the valve stems and need a new head possibly by letting the belt break.If not youre ok mred

Reply to
mred

The price is about double what it should be, The trans pan should be dropped and new filter, the differental should be drained also. The wires at that price are not toy and should be since non toy for me last only a few years but yours now may be fine.

Reply to
ransley

It's always expensive to have a mechanic work on a car. But it seems like the mechanic could reduce some duplicate labor. It's also understandable to pay extra for parts.

- Do get the ATF strainer replaced for the tranny. A Fram ATF kit is about $20.

- Do get cam and crank oil seals replaced while in there

- Valve cover gasket is about $14+shipping online price

- At those plug prices, are you getting NGK Iridium-IX or Laser Iridium? Mine are.

- For a 2000, tune-up often means spark plug change only.

- Use Gates timing kit, belts and hoses. Best in class.

See if you can find one at 50% the asking for labor. Parts are OK for a shop, but I do my own work and shop online. For example:

I typically do the whole "package" below (older prices from rockauto.com): GATES TCK199 (kit of timing belt with two pulleys and instruction) $85 GATES Part # K030295 PS belt $4.32 GATES Part # K050435 Alt/AC $12.12 FEL-PRO TCS45641 Cam seal $4.11 FEL-PRO TCS45920 Crank seal $6.04 BCA Part # 221820 Oil pump seal $2.71 Airtex $38 water pump (from local NAPA store) FEL-PRO VS50304R valve cover gasket set $13.94 BECK/ARNLEY 0396428 $1.87 (PCV grommet) PCV hose $1 per foot at your local NAPA store.

Reply to
johngdole