Further to the failing head gasket

After much contemplation on where and who should do the job, my daughters

1.4 ZR has finally had its leaking head gasket replaced by a local ex MG workshop.

I looked at various options and garages even thinking about a guy on ebay who auctions the repair for £470 but he was 100 miles away.

So I had 2 local costs which ranged £700 to £800. Eventually selecting the local workshop who quoted £700 to £750

The work description both quoted against entailed,

Remove Cylinder Head, crack test and assess it for flatness, skimming only if required. Replacement parts included,

3 piece head gasket (LR type) 10 Stretch bolts approx 5 various gaskets New lower rail Timing/Cam belt, tensioner and rollers Oil and filter Antifreeze 4 Spark Plugs Sealing pastes 12 months guarantee

The final invoice also showed 20% of the parts and came to £750

They also valeted the car inside and out.

I think in all a good job was done and while she told there would be a token £10 per day for a courtesy car plus £10 insurance, it was not included on the bill. We did not hang around to question this I am profoundly sorry to say.

In short we are happy that the car is now as safe as can be expected.

Reply to
The Old Man

I had the head gasket done on my car just over a year ago on the 1.6 K series engine. The bill came to around £600 and included all the parts (very similar to yours), skimming of the head, a full service (done at the same time as was due) and the MOT fee.

I was told at the time that the original Bakelite "pegs" are now aluminium alloy in the official Rover head gasket kit and these don't give a problem as they don't shear like the brittle Bakelite ones do. Time will tell, but so far so good!

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen