91 Camry Sedan DX

My mother-in-law has a 91 Camry DX sedan and frequently drains her battery by leaving the lights on. From what I understand, the *Luxury* model of the same year included a headlight 'bell' that would sound if the lights were left on, and the key was removed from the ignition, and the door was opened. I was wondering if this part could be added to the DX model merely by buying the 'bell' and plugging it into the wiring harness 'at the appropriate place'.

If this is possible, does anyone know where the wiring harness 'appropriate place' is located?

What part to ask for at the parts dealership (i.e.; part number? Official Toyota part description??)

Thanks! ken

Reply to
Ken Abrahamsen

the

buying

'appropriate

Reply to
Ken Abrahamsen

If I'm not mistaken, the LE (for the later years anyway) does not have a chime sound, but a relay that turns the lights off automatically when the driver's door opens. There is a chime sound for opening the driver's door with the key in the ignition, though. Just a guess, but there should be a "headlight relay" with the other relays and fuses. Perhaps try a wrecking yard part first, to see if adding the relay makes any difference. The system is triggered by the pin switch in the door jamb, so also make sure the dome light is working correctly as a double check, when the driver's door opens.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus