96 LE vibration

My car has vibration. I think it's coming from the back. I can also feel something draging. If I drive typically 60+ miles per hour, the vibration becomes worse. My tires are in good shape. I had an alignment done. Also I had a front drive axle replaced since then. My car got 214,000 miles on it.

Pepboys told me today that I need a new strut. Since they didn't really take time to investigate the problem, I am not sure if this is the problem. They gave me an estimate $675. Does this sound about right? Should I take it to another mechanic for second opinion?

Reply to
ed

In news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, ed being of bellicose mind posted:

Take the problem to a real chassis / tire shop. Pep Boys is not the sort of place I would trust to track down a speed problem.

Reply to
Philip®

Ed I have same sort of problem after tire rotation. People here advised to check balance

Strut cannot replace alone. They should replaced in pair. I have replaced front upper struts , it coasted me 320 and you will have to do alignment. If problem with struts you will fill it in every decent :) pit you drive over one road. Car sounds like somebody hammers it. Shock works not smooth at all.

I agree with Philip, do not go to PepBoys.

Reply to
Vitali

A strut is worth about $70-80 for the part and an hour worth of labor tops... I think it will not solve your problem, most likely a balance issue and/or check your brakes in the rear.

Reply to
Max

Have someone else drive your car at about 40 mph. Follow in another car and see if any of the wheels are bouncing up and down about once a second. Alternatively, watch it when it hits a big pothole or hump in the road and see if your car rises and falls more than twice.

Reply to
John Cooper

Pepboys told me today that I need a new strut. Since they didn't really take time to investigate the problem, I am not sure if this is the problem. They gave me an estimate $675. Does this sound about right? Should I take it to another mechanic for second opinion?

Reply to
stevef