Is alignment after strut replacement necessary on '96 Camry?

I had the front struts and mounts replaced on our Camry yesterday, after one of the strut mounts went bad. This is the first replacement in

130,000 miles.

I had my regular mechanic do it, as he was much cheaper than a suspension place or the dealer. He charged about $800 (including the rear shocks and an ATF change that was due) and he told me I'd have to take it to be aligned somewhere else, since he doesn't do alignments. Then when I picked up the car he told me that the database (Alldata I presume) said that strut replacement on this vehicle did not affect the alignment, and that I didn't need to get an alignment. He had no reason to make up a story about this, but I thought strut replacement always required a front alignment, and that the cartridge replacement somehow inherently threw off the alignment.

Reply to
SMS

With that many miles and the mechanical work, it would not be a bad idea to have a 4 wheel alignment.

Reply to
Clay

Autozone's online guide suggests alignment for the 96:

Each front strut probably came with an info sheet saying that if the fronts were replaced an alignment would be necessary. I know mine did. Newer cars have less and less adjustments to do. I'd be surprised if the latest cars have anything but toe-in. That said I'd have it checked after all these years and miles. Fine a reputable place with a recently calibrated Hunter alignment machine.

Reply to
johngdole

Are front tires showing improper wear patterns, if your roads are good, no pot holes and you havnt hit curbs maybe no.

Reply to
ransley

If it was just the strut you could probably get by without an alignment. But with the mounts replaced, I'd opt for a 4 wheel alignment in order to preserve the tires. Or, if you plan to purchase tires in the near future, you could have the alignment done when the new tires are mounted. (Bad struts often lead to premature tire wear.)

Reply to
ACAR

I put new front struts in my 1994 Camry, and it threw the alignment out quite a bit.

Geoff

Reply to
White Family