98 Camry Loosing Power Out of No Where??

I have a '98 Camry with just about 90K miles, (a 4 cylinder).

Recently, I've had a couple of experiences where I'm driving along at a reasonable speed, (40-60mph), and the engine seems to almost cut out. It doesn't stall, it just almost cuts out, (RPM's drop, complete loss of power and acceleration). It seems to happen every couple of weeks, not everyday. I can try stepping on the gas or not stepping on the gas, the engine "comes back" in around 15 seconds, although when it happened on the interstate it sure like it was longer than that!!

My first guess was a fuel filter. I changed it, and it's still happened.

I spoke with my mechanic who says that without being able to see it happen in the shop, the best thing to do, unfortunately, is to wait until it gets much worse, so he can see it. He explained that these intermittent problems are hard to diagnose, and with out changing different things willy-nilly, it would be almost impossible to resolve.

I totally understand where he's coming from. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this, or has any thoughts.

Thanks!

Reply to
FLSTCI

well the mech has a point assuming he has never seen such a thing, but it may leave you stranded next time. If he is not a toyota tech, you may want to pay the dealer a diagnostic fee to get them to look at it at least since they may have seen it before.

It sounds like it may be a failure with the ignition/ignitor where it is failing when it gets too hot. I recall this being brought up here from time to time for the 4cyl models. The only other thing I can think of is a bad connection somewhere on the wiring connectors for the senors feeding the ecm.

dave mc

Reply to
davemac

=== If you have the ignition coil under the distributor cap, start there. (Check for standard resistance while heating with hair dryer and tapping lightly)

Reply to
Daniel