2000 Camry power seat

The power seat lift motor stopped working on my 2000 Camry. The fore/ aft and recline motors both still work. I tested the switch and it is OK. I put 12V to the lift motor and it still didn't work. I called Toyota to ask how much a lift motor would be. I didn't think it would be too expensive given the size of it, but I got a real surprise. The parts person said that they did not sell any of the motors separately, and the seat assembly would be $1,100.00. I said no thanks, and started thinking about finding one in a junkyard. Then I figured, what the heck, it doesn't work now, how much more can I screw it up? I brought the seat into my workshop and removed the lift motor. I pried up the little tabs holding it together and took it apart. The tiny brushes still looked fine, but I noticed a very dark ring around the armature. I took a pencil eraser and polished it up. I reassembled it and found that it works again! An hour total and I saved a bunch of bucks. Not too bad for a retired person with some time on my hands. Larry D.

Reply to
LarryD

Thanks for posting that, Larry. It's posts like yours that keep me reading this newsgroup.

Reply to
Nobody Important

You're very welcome. I hope this simple fix may help someone else experiencing the same problem. Larry D.

Reply to
LarryD

That reminds me of the time when I was taking garbage to the dump. Remember those, way back before "transfer stations", where you threw your garbage over a bank at a local ravine! A friend of mine drove up with an almost-brand-new walk-behind lawn mower. He tossed it out of the truck, but before he could throw it over the bank, I asked him why he was throwing it away. He said he was disgusted with it and couldn't get it started. It was running fine until he hit a rock with it. It stalled and he yanked the cord a gazillion times and it wouldn't run. I said to throw it in my truck and I would look at it for him. He said he never wanted to see it again. I took it home, removed the shroud and flywheel, and sure enough, the flywheel key was sheared. I keep at least a dozen of them on hand for B&S engines, so I put in a new one, reassembled it, and it started on the second pull. I called up my friend and told him to come over and pick up his mower as I got it running for him, no charge at all. He reiterated that he never wanted to see it again and to keep it. I used that mower for quite a few seasons. Larry D.

Reply to
LarryD

I agree. I have fixed countless things over the years that others would have discarded. On the other hand, I am one to stretch the limits of my abilities at times. As I said before, It's broken now, so how much more could I screw it up? I know if I brought something that costs under a hundred bucks to somebody that really can repair it, they would probably charge a hundred bucks to repair it, so why not try myself. At least my percentage of fixes is WAY higher than stuff I couldn't fix. Of course, if you put a dollar figure on your time (which I don't), it may come out to a wash or a loss. But, I love a challenge, have plenty of tools, and now that I am retired, plenty of time. Also, my friends know that I am a "fixer", so I get called on constantly to farm out my services. Of course, I don't charge anything to friends and family, but I have found out time and time again the Good Lord somehow always takes care of those who give. Larry D.

Reply to
LarryD