'98 V6 / Serious transmission question

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I did a flush procedure on my '98 Camry, V6. It has ~95k mi, the last flush was done at around 78k mi.

Looking over my recipts it seems that the Toyota mechanic who did the flush previously used Type IV (Dextron 4) instead of the Type III that this car uses.

The fluid that was removed was very dirty but not burnt -- my Toyota mechanic friend said it was "very nasty". We did a flush procedure until all the old stuff was removed and only clean Dextron III was coming out. We drove the car and repeated the procedure just to get any accumulated crap out.

After the fluid change I notice the shifting is much more "firm", I can feel the car shift whereas before it felt more gentle. I'm certain I noticed the car slipping every now and then (infrequently enough that it didn't seem serious, but enough that I noted it down), so certainly the previous fluid was not fully compatible.

My three questions:

  1. What is a '98/'99 V6 Camry auto transmission supposed to feel like? Should the shifts be nice and gentle, or slightly firm and noticable?

  1. Was permanent damage done by driving the car with the wrong fluid?

  2. Does anyone know the specific details on the difference between Type
3 and Type 4?

Thanks, Jay.

Reply to
Jay

PERMANANT damage was done by not following instructions BOZE OO Dip Shitttt Moronnnnnnnnnnn

Reply to
m Ransley