Re: 98 Camry transmission question

It sounds like your torque converter is acting up when it feels like it. To correct that would probably require a transmission replacement which would cost over a thousand dollars for a rebuilt one, probably $3,000 for a new one. Let the dealer check it out. If the problem only occasionally reveals itself then it might be best to just live with it. If the problem "went away" then just forget it. Your car is young with only 40K miles on it and should go as long as you want it to go.

Bill

We have a 98 Camry automatic with 40 K miles. It's twice had a problem for >a day each then runs perfectly the rest of the time. The problem is: >starting from a complete stop it will not proceed, in fact the engine revs >up like it was stick with the clutch pushed in. After the rpm reaches about >2000, it will lurch forward and go, though the gear shifting is a little >rough. This went on for about 15 "starts", then went away. Car runs >perfectly otherwise. If someone could answer the following questions I >would appreciate it: >Is this more likely to be a mechanical problem or an electronic one? >If it is an electronic problem, would the computer have stored a fault code >that can be accessed? >We took it to a dealer and they said either leave it with us to do a >thorough check, or bring it in when the problem is happening (hard to >predict when it will reoccur). Recommendations? >Thanks, Ed >
Reply to
Bill

Make sure you have enough transmission fluid. If it's low, it will be slipping like that.

Reply to
AV